LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

Another header question.......

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 06:13 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Another header question.......

Hey guys (and gals),

Unfortunately I don't get to spend as much time on here as I'd like, so I'm still a newb although I joined quite a while ago.
Got a question about headers. I've read about all the brands on here, etc., but I have a few concerns:

I have a borla cat-back on my Z28 M6 (1997), and I'd like a set of headers and y-pipe (with high flow cats preferably, but no cats would be okay also). However, I want the headers to retain all of the stock fittings and function of the OEM manifolds (EGR, etc.).
I'm interested in the Dynatech Longtubes, seems like the best header for the buck. Are there any other Y-pipes that will fit them besides the Dynatech Y-pipe? Any thoughts on Random Technology Y-pipe with hi-flo cats?
Thanks in advance, and I'm open to suggestions for other header brands, but NOT Pacesetter. Don't want to be a hater, but I remember when Pacesetter was the crappiest exhaust on the market (rusted out in 6 months, etc...) and I'm not interested in going down that road.

Old 11-12-2008, 06:51 PM
Overdrive Member
Default RE: Another header question.......

well its best to get a y-pipe by the same brand so it will fit better, as for the rust problem if you get a ceramic coated header you wont have to worry about that, it might be a little more expensive but well worth it.Ive known people who also have had fitment problems with pacesetter so i would stay away from them all together

Old 11-12-2008, 09:32 PM
Overdrive Member

I would recommend either Dynatech or Kooks. Kooks are a little more expensive, but they're going to be the best header you can get your hands on for an LT1. That said, from what I've seen Dynatech no longer makes an LT1 specific Y-Pipe. You could try to go for either a custom fab job from a local muffler shop or take a chance and go for a generic Y-pipe, but no guarantees it's going to fit.

Old 11-13-2008, 11:54 AM
In the Staging Lanes

I was able to find on Summit that they carry an "off-road" y-pipe (3") that fits Hooker long tubes from Stainless Works. However, I'm concerned about O2 sensor issues. Can you run an exhaust without a cat and still use O2 sensors, or does someone make an O2 sensor simulator for this type of setup? Are there any reprocussions from doing this?
LikeI said, I'd like to retain the stock fittings, sensors, etc. I like to keep things clean and proper, no ghetto-fab for me.

Old 11-13-2008, 04:37 PM
Ninja Administrator

pretty much any o2 simulator will work. it will not affect your cars performance. only thing is it will make the engine light come on and you may fail inspection if your state even does that

Old 11-15-2008, 09:57 AM
ROTM Winner
ROTM Winner's Club

haha, i love how you say no ghetto fab for you. you haven't tried installing the headers yet, lol. and i had no problems with fitment on my pacesetters, but will agree that kooks or dynatech or the new LPP headers would be the best choice

Old 11-15-2008, 11:35 AM
Overdrive Member

ORIGINAL: QC97Z

I was able to find on Summit that they carry an "off-road" y-pipe (3") that fits Hooker long tubes from Stainless Works. However, I'm concerned about O2 sensor issues. Can you run an exhaust without a cat and still use O2 sensors, or does someone make an O2 sensor simulator for this type of setup? Are there any reprocussions from doing this?
LikeI said, I'd like to retain the stock fittings, sensors, etc. I like to keep things clean and proper, no ghetto-fab for me.
Just a little correction, Hooker and Stainless Works are two different companies. I usually don't recommend Stainless Works since they are the most expensive and from what I've read they don't have the quality of Kooks. Other than that the other guys are right on with O2 sims etc.

Old 11-15-2008, 02:16 PM
In the Staging Lanes

I realize that Hooker and Stainless works are two different companies. However, according to the description on Summit's website, the Stainless works Y-pipe is designed to bolt up to the Hooker LT's. ::shrug:: Taken directly from summit's site:

Notes:
Designed to fit Hooker long tube headers. For off-road use only, no catalytic converters.

Notes:

Designed to fit Hooker long tube headers. For off-road use only, no catalytic converters.
Sorry about the double paste...now I can't delete one of them. Oh well. Here's the link anyway, just for fun: http://store.summitracing.com/partde...p;autoview=sku
And it seems to not be the most expensive, since it's on clearance
I'm not down with my check engine light being on. Where I said "no ghetto fab for me" and I like to keep everything clean...I meant it. The CEL is there for a reason, to indicate a problem. I don't want to "learn to deal with it" being on all the time...
Does anyone know if the Random Technologies y-pipe with hi-flo cats bolts up to any of the headers on the market....besides the random technologies headers?

Old 11-15-2008, 02:18 PM
In the Staging Lanes

BTW, I like the Z06 wheels 95slvr...any fitment issues, backspacing or anything, or did you just bolt 'em right up? Not meaning to get off on a tangent...

Old 11-15-2008, 02:25 PM
Overdrive Member

I just bolted them right up, no issues at all.

If you don't want the CEL on you either need to get a full emissions compatable system (Kooks is relaly the only one I could find, I needed a full emissions compatable system, and I couldn't be happier) or you need to get aft-cat O2 sims. I'm not 100% sure about Random Technologies Y-pipe. The fact of the matter is, most header on an LT1 have the same generic exit pattern. The passenger side header heads straight back and the driver side veers off toward the outside of the car a little. The only way you can gauarantee you'll have perfect fit is if you go for a header and Y-Pipe from the same manufacture, otherwise I would say you could (not for sure) have fitment issues. On the lighter side of things, Y-Pipes are metal and they aren't very compicated, so you can always either bend it yourself (if it just needs a little finess to get it into position) or you can take it to a shop and they should be able to fix you up.

Quick Reply: Another header question.......