LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

97 Z28 Coolant issue...

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 11:44 PM
Default 97 Z28 Coolant issue...

Hello people! I need some help/pointers/opinions on a problem I have...The car is a 97 z28 lt1...Yesterday I got a call from my sister saying she was stuck on the freeway...got there and all of her antifreeze ran out...got it home long story short the weep hole on the water pump was leaking so today I replaced the water pump, thermostat, gaskets, etc...Everything is put back together and i believe there are no leaks...I filled the radiator with water first to check if there are any problems/leaks...and i know there is still air in the system but everytime i try to start it water spurts out of the overflow! What im asking is could it be because of the air in the system? maybe the rad. cap? and if so how can I resolve this problem...ive massaged the upper radiator hose and try jacking the front up, then fill with water and repeat the process over and over...HELP ME! Thanks

Old 03-06-2011, 11:55 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

have you been opening the air bleed screws? also did it overheat bad?

Attached Thumbnails 97 Z28 Coolant issue...-bleeders.jpg  

Last edited by craby; 03-07-2011 at 12:02 AM.
Old 03-06-2011, 11:59 PM
Overdrive Member

I would check for a blown head gasket. They can push exhaust into the cooling system causing the rad to "boil" over. Check out this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QA7KV...1&feature=fvwp

You can rent these kits at Napa, as far as I know they are the only ones that have this kit.

Massey

Old 03-07-2011, 01:03 AM

The bleeder on top of t-stat housing? And, im not sure if it overheated bad...I was not driving it nor is it my car...its my sisters...hopefully its just too much air in the system...I dont think it blew the head gasket, well hopefully not lol Any other ideas?

Old 03-07-2011, 01:43 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

when you bleed it park it on the steepest hill you can with the front of the car on the up side. when changing the opti i have left the front of mine on jackstands and filled the radiator and did a pre bleed and refill the let it set overnight and refilled the next day before starting, if you wait for the motor to warm enough to open the therostat then you are going to see an overflow from the expansion of the coolant. ok ill go through this for you, get the front of the car up, let it cool and fill the radiator, open the lower bleeder/bleeders and close when coolant comes out, refill the radiator and start the car with the radiator cap off, if the coolant level drops refill and put the cap on, now bleed the air out of the bleeder on the hose by the alternator. if on jack stands turn the motor off and lower, then take it for a spin around the block and re park on a hill with the front up. let cool and re fill the radiator,open the lower bleeder to check for air. put cap back on and start, bleed the bleeder in the hose, and take it for a spin around the block. redo this till you get no air.

Old 03-07-2011, 10:27 AM

Alright thanks a lot! im goin to work on it right now so well see! wish me luck haha

Old 03-07-2011, 12:23 PM

Alright I got a lot more water in it but its still doing the same thing...and its turning over but barely...and its no where near firing up...theres also i tiny bit of smoke coming from near the overflow...im not sure if its combustion gas or electrical near it...whatever it is its a PITA!

Old 03-07-2011, 12:38 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

make sure the battery has not run down on you. pull the spark plugs and see if you have coolant in one or more of them. check the oil for any sign of coolant, milky or weak chocolate color. sounding like there is more than a water pump at issue.

Old 03-07-2011, 01:03 PM
Overdrive Member

Refer back to post #3. or do a compression test and also a cooling system pressure test to help diagnose the problem.

Massey

Old 03-08-2011, 11:51 PM

still no luck... time to sell this thing! lol

Quick Reply: 97 Z28 Coolant issue...