LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

97 in turmoil please help!

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2006, 03:20 PM
Default 97 in turmoil please help!

I just posed this on the LT1 forum, but i need some help asap.
Anyone got any ideas?

My Camaro has been misfiring like crazy.
It started off as a very mild misfire and now it barely runs.
The Codes Running on my car are as follows.

P0400- EGR Flow Malfunction

P0401- Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) Flow Insufficient

P1441- EVAP System Flow During Non-Purge

P0300- Misfire Code

For the most part, I understand all of these codes, but here's what I am unclear about.
The shop my car is at now claims that the Misfire is due to a bad Optispark and that I need to replace the whole electric system (wires, coil).
They also quoted me at a min 2400 bucks AND said that it may not solve the misfire.
My question is, WHAT THE ****???

But seriously my question is, could the misfire be due to the EGR/EVAP fails and NOT the optispark?
And would it be dumb to ask them to fix the EGR/EVAP problems BEOFRE fixing the optispark to weed that out.

I have more questions, but i'll just stop right there for now.
Please help!!

Old 12-05-2006, 04:16 PM
3rd Gear Member
Default RE: 97 in turmoil please help!

Yeah if there is too much exhaust being recirulated into the air fuel mixture that could cause a misfire. There would be gas in the engine and not enough oxygen to have the proper air to fuel ratio.

Old 12-05-2006, 05:25 PM
Tech Droid

Question for you. Did the engine get wet, such as driving in deep water, water pump leaking, using engne cleaner & water to clean engine?
If the optispark got wet, it most likely died and needs total replacement, don't bother just changing cap & rotor.
Otherwise:
Fix the easy things first, one at a time.
First get the EGR fixed because it is not working right, and can cause problems.
The EVAP should be fixed, but usually does not cause performance problems.
Change plugs and plug wires.
Clean out all the low voltage connections between PCM, Coil, Ignition Module & Optispark. Get some contact cleaner from Radio Shack
Replace the less costly item first, again one at a time. Coil, Ignition Module, Optispark

Old 12-05-2006, 06:19 PM

Thanks guys.

Pete, the engine did not get wet, but in May I took it to the dealership and they did a 100k service on it. Changed the plugs and whatnot. By the time I got back to my house, 25 miles, it was running like ****. In fact, it was misfiring, just like it is now. I had it towed back and they said that some of the injector plugs had come loose. Okay. Fine. So now it's doing the same thing, but it was a slower progression to the bad misfire. 6 months instead of 25 miles. I mean, if the optispark got wet, it certainly wasn't under my watch, unless it was corroding over time.

This new dealership it's at just called me and I told them to fix the EGR/EVAP problems first. They said that those were not causing the misfire, the opti was, but they couldn't guarantee the misfire being fixed so they are doing it my way.
If the optispark got some water or fluid damage on it, would they be able to tell by looking at it? I'd like them to give me an answer as to why it just up and died at 80 thousand miles.
j

Old 12-07-2006, 03:52 PM
Tech Droid

The problem with optisparks is that if they get damp they start to corrode and get progressively worse as time goes on. Althoug, the opti in your car is the vented type and less subject to moisture problems. nI really would do everything else before doing the opti, becuse that maintenance should be done anyway.
_____________________________________________-
From http://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_cod...e-detected.php

Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected

What does that mean?Basically this means that the the car's computer has detected that not all of the engine's cylinders are firing properly.

A P0300 OBD code indicates a random or multiple misfire. If the last digit is a number other than zero, it corresponds to the cylinder number that is misfiring. A P0302 code, for example, would tell you cylinder number two is misfiring. Unfortunately, a P0300 doesn't tell you specifically which cylinder(s) is/are mis-firing, nor why.

SymptomsSymptoms may include:
the engine may be harder to start
the engine may stumble / stumble, and/or hesitate
other symptoms may also be present
CausesA code P0300 may mean that one or more of the following has happened:

Faulty spark plugs or wires
Faulty coil (pack)
Faulty oxygen sensor(s)
Faulty fuel injector(s)
Burned exhaust valve
Faulty catalytic converter(s)
Stuck/blocked EGR valve / passages
Faulty camshaft position sensor
Defective computer
Possible SolutionsIf there are no symptoms, the simplest thing to do is to reset the code and see if it comes back.

If there are symptoms such as the engine is stumbling or hesitating, check all wiring and connectors that lead to the cylinders (i.e. spark plugs). Depending on how long the ignition components have been in the car, it may be a good idea to replace them as part of your regular maintenance schedule. I would suggest spark plugs, spark plug wires, distributor cap, and rotor (if applicable). Otherwise, check the coils (a.k.a. coil packs). In some cases, the catalytic converter has gone bad. If you smell rotten eggs in the exhaust, your cat converter needs to be replaced. I've also heard in other cases the problems were faulty fuel injectors.

Random misfires that jump around from one cylinder to another (read: P030x codes) also will set a P0300 code. The underlying cause is often a lean fuel condition, which may be due to a vacuum leak in the intake manifold or unmetered air getting past the airflow sensor, or an EGR valve that is stuck open.

Old 12-08-2006, 09:19 PM

much thanks pete. that helps A LOT.
i've had the egr valve replaced and i should hear back soon.
i'll keep you updated
j