LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

95 lt1 camaro turns off

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 05:42 PM
Overdrive Member

OK lets take this a little slower.

You see a spark from under the alternator. Can you tell if it is the grount harness or the ignition wires? Either way it is not good and must be fixed. This could be as simple as tightening a bolt. If it is the wires get new ones.

When you lose power driving what else happens? Do you lose all electrical, or just lose power from the engine?

Does this do this all the time or maybe only when you are at 1/4 of a tank or lower? My friend had a Malibu that would just up and die on her for no reason, no codes, and GM had the car in the shop 5 times trying to fix it with no luck. I asked her a few questions about the when and what happens and she described just about the same symptoms as you do. Car dies and will not start up for about 10-15 minutes, but cranks just fine in the mean time. Her problem was a failing but not totally failed Fuel pump. Her car would only die at 1/4 tank or so. This is because the fuel pump is cooled by the fuel. Running the car low on fuel all the time will shorten the life of the pump. When I ran her pump out of the tank it screemed like a banshee, meaning the bearings were shot.

Feel free to contact me if you need some help with this. PMs work great I am online off and on most of the day.

Massey

Old 03-28-2011, 06:05 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by Massey
OK lets take this a little slower.

You see a spark from under the alternator. Can you tell if it is the grount harness or the ignition wires? Either way it is not good and must be fixed. This could be as simple as tightening a bolt. If it is the wires get new ones.

When you lose power driving what else happens? Do you lose all electrical, or just lose power from the engine?

Does this do this all the time or maybe only when you are at 1/4 of a tank or lower? My friend had a Malibu that would just up and die on her for no reason, no codes, and GM had the car in the shop 5 times trying to fix it with no luck. I asked her a few questions about the when and what happens and she described just about the same symptoms as you do. Car dies and will not start up for about 10-15 minutes, but cranks just fine in the mean time. Her problem was a failing but not totally failed Fuel pump. Her car would only die at 1/4 tank or so. This is because the fuel pump is cooled by the fuel. Running the car low on fuel all the time will shorten the life of the pump. When I ran her pump out of the tank it screemed like a banshee, meaning the bearings were shot.

Feel free to contact me if you need some help with this. PMs work great I am online off and on most of the day.

Massey
No my tank was almost full. i had just put a full tank of gas 2 days earlier. and i did change the fuel pump a little more than a year ago so i dont think its my fuel pump. and i cant really tell where the spark is coming from. so where is the ground harness? so i can check it out. if you know i would appreciate it. also i dont lose all my power it just turns off and the the battery voltage is low and the battery is slightly new. there is a loss of power but i have no idea why. thanks

Last edited by Jerry95lt1; 03-28-2011 at 06:08 PM.
Old 03-29-2011, 12:45 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

there are four main grounds on the motor, one on the front of the motor on the passenger side under the belt tensioner, http://shbox.com/1/accy_brkt.jpg , one on the passenger side of the block to the front of the starter and one on the front of ther motor on the driver side next to or below the ignition module. http://shbox.com/1/coil_loc.jpg. last the battery ground is on the passenger side motor mount.

Originally Posted by craby
check the gound under the belt tensioner.

Attached Thumbnails 95 lt1 camaro turns off-g103.jpg  

Last edited by craby; 03-29-2011 at 12:47 AM.
Old 03-29-2011, 12:24 PM
Overdrive Member

What brand of fuel pump did you get? Not all are created equal.

Massey