LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

'94Z needs new brakes

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2010, 10:38 PM
1st Gear Member
Default '94Z needs new brakes

No idea where to start, I know I want slotted/drilled rotors but that's about it. I've looked around some sites and found http://www.summitracing.com/parts/WIL-140-7148-DR/ are these good? What are the differences between brands? Also couldn't find the same model for the fronts do they need to be the same? And would it be cheaper to buy a kit or order everything separately? Do I need 4 or 6 piston calipers?

Thanks, I'm a noob when it comes to brakes

Old 01-18-2010, 12:32 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

i think these would match up with those. why the big change? u can pick up a ls upgrade or a vette set for much less.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/WIL-140-6743-DR/

i used a set of power slots or something like that in my last camaro they were drilled and slotted with ceramic pads and they worked good with the stock calipers.

Old 01-18-2010, 01:58 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by craby
i think these would match up with those. why the big change? u can pick up a ls upgrade or a vette set for much less.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/WIL-140-6743-DR/

i used a set of power slots or something like that in my last camaro they were drilled and slotted with ceramic pads and they worked good with the stock calipers.
Where can I find the ls or vette set? i know next to nothing about buying brakes so yah im pretty much flying blind

If the stock caliper is a good one how do you think these would hold up? http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PW...R-KT/?rtype=10

Last edited by imalixZ28; 01-18-2010 at 02:10 AM.
Old 01-18-2010, 03:30 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

those rotors look just like the ones i had. make the biggest difference on the front. for the ls and vette rotors u need a adapter plate and calipers from em. google it and see what comes up.

Old 01-18-2010, 04:01 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club
Old 01-18-2010, 02:20 PM
1st Gear Member

Yah I'll probably go with just a rotor and pad set and just powdercoat the stock calipers red. Is there any real difference between brands and materials things like that? Anything to look for in particular? I just want a nice looking street, not super high performance race rotors or anything like that.

Old 01-18-2010, 03:35 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

may want to go with stainless for long lasting looks. i will go with the drilled and slotted power slots if i get em for my current 93. picked up some cheap drilled ones and they dont work as well as the power slots i had on my last 93. could be just cause there not slotted.

Old 01-18-2010, 04:12 PM
1st Gear Member

may want to go with stainless for long lasting looks. i will go with the drilled and slotted power slots if i get em for my current 93. picked up some cheap drilled ones and they dont work as well as the power slots i had on my last 93. could be just cause there not slotted.
What's the difference between stainless and iron/zinc dichromate blah blah blah for durability and looks? Can't seem to find stainless anywhere that are slotted/drilled, only solid rotors .

Found these on eBay though, the price concerns me a little and makes me question the company's reputation and quality, have you heard of them?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Chevy...item3359613cf1

Old 01-18-2010, 04:25 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

thats a pretty good deal. never heard of em. i know alot of what a person pays for is name on a large percentage of car parts so it could be ok but these are your brakes u are workin with and are the most important thing on a car. do a search on the name and see what comes up.

Old 01-18-2010, 05:02 PM
1st Gear Member

thats a pretty good deal. never heard of em. i know alot of what a person pays for is name on a large percentage of car parts so it could be ok but these are your brakes u are workin with and are the most important thing on a car. do a search on the name and see what comes up.
Apparently BrakeMotive gets around, Google shows them at many other car forums- TitanTalk, Nissan Club, CorvetteForum, StangNet, AcuraZine, couldn't find any Camaro reviews though. Pretty much all mixed reviews, people saying either they love it or ABSOLUTELY HATE it...

A poster from CorvetteForum says "Yes, and there is a huge reason why they are so CHEAP. I don't race my car very much since I installed them. And all four of my rotors are cracked. I'm pissed."
Another from StangNet says "They are on and they ROCK!!!!
Holly crap are they good! The car has always stopped like crap and I just figured large car, small brakes, live with it. Car couldnt even make its ABS engauge. Now the thing will STOP! I havent really peshed it at all because they need to bed in and go through a couple heat cycles. I just hit the pedal like I normally do from 45 and I jerked foreward, car could never do that before They are great "

One from NissanClub "Great Rotors and Pads for a great price! AWESOME SELLER!

Got Slotted and Drilled rotors and pads for the wifey's 05 Altima SE-R.. looks great! I'll try and get pics up.."

He also later said that cross drilled rotors are bad because they crack around the hole edges...that true?
TitanTalk "Yeah, too cheap is usually not too good. Inspect the backs carefully as you may only need to do the fronts. The rears typically last at least 2x the fronts."

I would say the Vette guy's opinion would mean the most but it could also be the dud in the bunch?

Found out the rotors are casted in China then shipped to the States for finishing and final touches....

Anybody have an opinion based on all this? I'm not the wealthiest guy in the world so the price is luring (even though suspicious) but I also don't want cracked and warped to hell rotors a week after installing them.

Wish I could find a formal review of them though

Quick Reply: '94Z needs new brakes