LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

94 Z28 needing serious help

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2011, 08:35 PM
Default 94 Z28 needing serious help

ABS INOP light on and i have searched the forum and havent really seen positive resolution of curing this problem...

also tranny has no third gear...its like nothing is there and i have to manually shift into second to keep it from trying to grab second. could one of the solenoids be stuck and keeping it from engaging 3rd gear?

also this car was in a flood zone and has sat for more than a year and possibly up to 3 years and may have taken water to some degree...

Old 09-15-2011, 08:57 PM
2nd Gear member

If it sat in water and has water damage, first thing I would do is trace every single wire throughout the entire car and check for corrosion, then test every sensor. Yes, it's a lot of work, but that is just I would do.

Old 09-15-2011, 10:28 PM

i dont see any obvious water damage but it was in a flood zone when i bought it and had been there for a while...i need to replace the rotors and might just go ahead and put spindles on it for GP and to get new abs sensors.

anyone got any ideas on the tranny? is there any suggestions other than rebuild?

Old 09-16-2011, 11:12 AM
Tech Droid

The easiest way to find what is causin the ABS to light, is to use an ABS scanner and pull the code. ABS problems in these cars range anywhere from bad wheel sesnsor or wiring, to burned out lamps in the center brake light, to a bad ABS module. High end scanners are capable of reading ABS codes, as are dedicated ABS scanners.

Old 09-16-2011, 12:19 PM
1st Gear Member

Drain the tranny oil. While you are in there you will see the damage. According to what I have read, the lining to the clutches will come apart when subjected to water. You are prolly screwed, sorry.

Old 09-16-2011, 09:25 PM

well as i go through the car it seems that the story i was told is a little different than what i think actually happened.

i bought the car with the water pump off...was told that it had been leaking after he put a starter on it...but the opti spark had been replaced. when i got the car of the lift the cat had probably been back fired soo hard it split the seams. also noticed that the tranny fluid seemed too clean and once on the lift the pan was far too clean to be behind the engine or down the road, so it seems that someone did a service on it for some reason and sounds like it might have been to try to fix a tranny problem.

could there be anything hung or stuck keeping sufficient pressure for 3rd gear? it shifts into 3rd but it just slips...first and second shifts good and holds good.

Old 09-17-2011, 12:58 AM
In the Staging Lanes

I heard that if you make a resistor for 524 ohms, and plug it into where the rear harness goes, it will shut off the light.

I just use a small piece of electrical tape over the inop light, and the air bags light. I unplugged those, if I get into a small bump, I dont want my dashboard to explode. Too expensive, and hard to fix.

Besides, proper or not, I dont want my car punching me in the nose for scratching it.

Old 09-17-2011, 02:04 PM

i want to make it right and not put tape over lights and bypass the ABS unless it sucks like some cars i have driven...

i just wish a 4L60E guru would chime in and confirm a rebuild or something i can do for a few months till i get the money to build a good tranny for it

do we have any tranny docs in the house?

Old 09-17-2011, 08:47 PM
Tech Droid

Lots of reasons for no 3rd gear, including 2-3 valve train stuck, worn clutches, worn or damaged case, 2-4 servo, 3rd accumulator. Truthfully, the transmission needs to be pulled, opened up , and inspected. Except for servos, and shift solenoids not much can be fixed without removing the transmission.

Old 09-18-2011, 08:09 PM

thanks for the reply, maybe next weekend i can get it out and look inside before i go all the way with a rebuild...i need to save some money so i can build it right

i think i need the tranny fairys phone number...maybe she could waive her magic wand and make me a good tranny...

i feel like those house flip shows where they think they are getting a good deal and it turns out that the wiring is shot and the plumbing has to be redone and they barely make any money when they sell it...

i dont plan to sell it but i dont want to get too much invested above KBB

Quick Reply: 94 Z28 needing serious help