LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

94 Z25 dies

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2018, 01:56 PM
Default 94 Z25 dies

My buds 94 runs great but when it gets hot is just dies, like the spark is done.. Has new opti which did died ,no tach sig. and when it runs its great but then is just dies. .Has good fuel psi, has a gage, and the tach is still up just no go. Best I can tell is the ECM is not happy, the cooling fan runs even cold.. sure sign I am told. Plus I dug out a Tech1 from work!, and it works lol. no codes in the system but cant see all the data when it quits. Pulled the ECU to be sent back to the turner, he will read the tune and send a replacement ECU.. Did the "wack test" and it died 1 time. Will let you know if that's the fix, did pull the harness when running and didn't die, just running this by the group to see if anyone has has this issue too. IF I ever get time to work on mine, will get some pics. Thanks!

Old 09-30-2018, 01:57 PM

Z 28 lol am a non typing fool....

Old 10-01-2018, 08:53 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

if different ecu/pcm doesnt help a failing ignition coil/control module will do this.

Old 10-01-2018, 06:41 PM

It has the LS coil setup on it now . was fine from spring till a few weeks ago when it started acting up... will know soon as the ecu gets here. Would be nice to wrench on my own car for a change ..:-) Thanks for the input!!

Old 10-02-2018, 10:04 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

may want to check ignition switch, check fuses and power to system running coils. did you lock tight the screws for the rotor before installing the opti.

Old 10-02-2018, 10:06 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

is this a ltcc system

Old 10-03-2018, 02:10 AM

yes it is , yes to the tight rotor. double checked that. had to say what it is, so much has been changed on this car plus its old... had good reading from the opti on the tech1 just low ecu valtage. had good voltage at the ecu and ground too. feel the ecu is the issue. am waiting on it to come back.

Old 10-04-2018, 05:17 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

i have ltcc too, when it wouldnt start it was the opti, one time the rotor, other time it was the opti wire harness, ltcc didnt like it for some reason. have two and both tested good.

Old 10-04-2018, 06:57 PM

Yes I did replace the opti and water pump and all the seal the opti did die but it still had the issue, was better but still quit. I should get the new ecu back on Friday..maybe. Got a ton of car work to do this weekend, between his, my kids and other friends, I may never get mine on the road.lol. Got parts but no time. Is the life of a wrench.. Thanks again. Oh, what plug wires do you have ?

Old 10-14-2018, 06:44 AM

Well the ecu fixed that issue lol, now on the the rest. :-) Alt output is @.7 low and is on order. Car runs very well now but with the lights and ac on it drops too much voltage and needs to go. The guy is old school and isn't up on the "new stuff" of FI and things. He is learning LOL. Did work on mine a little, just made the to fix list a little longer but is the way of hot rods I guess. One issue with the tune on the 94 is the fan is set to 160, is too low to me. Also the hose from the valve cover to the throttle body is plugged and a old school vent cap is there, I feel this needs to go as well. Its a sealed system and needs vac in the crankcase. Would keep the oil from leaking.... The 94 is a way cool car but wasn't done right in some ways. I see a lot of money spent in places and the cheap out in others... They did all the motor work and left the 10bolt ... yes it is a peg leg now lol. Yes I know "Were are the pics" ... :-) Soon.. Thanks !

Quick Reply: 94 Z25 dies