LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

94 camaro z28 clutch??

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2011, 12:38 AM
Default 94 camaro z28 clutch??

my clutch just recently went out on my 94 z28 , was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on what kinda clutch i should put in there, definetly not stock i need sumtin thats gunna last when im dawginn the **** out of my maro lol. i kno nuthin about clutches so any help will do

Old 01-16-2011, 02:17 AM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

what do you want to spend that will determine what kind of clutch and GET YOUR FLYWHEEL RESURFACED very important

this is a good place to start
http://www.ws6project.com/user_stor/...ath=236_262_77

dont go to autozone youll rip that clutch up in no time (happened to my buddys 3.8 bird only 11k miles and he drives like a gma)

if you have any install questions pm me ive replaced soooooooo many clutches

Last edited by BasicConcepts; 01-16-2011 at 02:20 AM.
Old 01-16-2011, 06:42 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

agree with ^^^ make sure your flywheel is good. bc you got any pictures to make a clutch change thread?

Old 01-16-2011, 02:23 PM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

no i dont wish i did

Old 01-16-2011, 03:06 PM

Mine recently went out also. I got a ram power grip clutch for $425. and had to have flywheel resurfaced for bout $26. I would get a ram if i were you they are pretty good clutches for the price.

Old 01-16-2011, 04:10 PM
2nd Gear member

dont get a centerforce they have been having lots of problems

Old 01-16-2011, 04:44 PM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

^^ can you elaborate on that is this fact or opinion

Old 01-16-2011, 06:46 PM
1st Gear Member

I'm going to 1+ BC and Craby...Make SURE you get your flywheel resurfaced.

Changing the clutch on the Camaro is pretty easy. Unlike headers.....

Haha...

The clutch is pretty straight forward

Here are a couple tools you will need.

1. A 1/2 universal joint. There is a bolt on the left side of the tranny that a socket wrench and a box wrench won't fit on.

2. Impact Wrench. 1/2 drive.

3. Breaker Bar

4. A radio

5. Torque Wrench

6. Socket set

7. Tranny jack or something similar.

Before you start on the tranny, the drive shaft HAS to come off...It has two bolts holding it on. Jack the car up, but not on the tires...the suspension can't be compressed or the bolts won't come out of the traction bar.

Next, go inside the car, and pull the console the shifter is on off. You need to take the shift lever off...Its easy...two big bolts..... After that, you are finished on the inside.

Next there is a bar running across the car...it has 4 bolts...then there is a bracket where the traction bar attaches to the tranny.

After that is finished....Take the starter, and the slave cylinder off...Buy a new slave cylinder while you are doing this. I had to replace mine because it wouldn't depress the new clutch and it blew the seals out.

Once the starter and slave cylinder are off, you can begin unbolting the tranny.

The two toughest bolts to reach are on top of the bell housing. They are WAY in the back. So you will need a LONG extension to make it easy for you.

The tranny isn't gonna just fall off, make sure you shake it back and forth...just make sure you have a Jack or something to support it.

I took the transmission apart in two pieces. I took the tranny off first, and left the bell housing bolted to the motor. I did it by accident but it turned out to be easier that way.

If you replace your slave cylinder you will need to bleed your clutch...Its really easy... You need someone with you though...One to depress the pedal and one to pour fluid.

Also, the torque rating on the clutch isn't a lot. You will need someone to hold the crankshaft bolt while you tighten the bolts on the clutch. You can your the impact to get the bolts off, just don't put them on with it. The torque rating on the clutch is about 20 pounds.

Good luck on your search for clutches... I hope this helps you a little. If you have any questions, let me know.

Last edited by Turbolag86; 01-16-2011 at 06:53 PM.
Old 01-16-2011, 09:16 PM
2nd Gear member

fact my buddy has been having troubles with his locking into gear with 50 miles on it and i know a few other people who are having trouble with theres as well

Old 01-17-2011, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by Turbolag86
I'm going to 1+ BC and Craby...Make SURE you get your flywheel resurfaced.

Changing the clutch on the Camaro is pretty easy. Unlike headers.....

Haha...

The clutch is pretty straight forward

Here are a couple tools you will need.

1. A 1/2 universal joint. There is a bolt on the left side of the tranny that a socket wrench and a box wrench won't fit on.

2. Impact Wrench. 1/2 drive.

3. Breaker Bar

4. A radio

5. Torque Wrench

6. Socket set

7. Tranny jack or something similar.

Before you start on the tranny, the drive shaft HAS to come off...It has two bolts holding it on. Jack the car up, but not on the tires...the suspension can't be compressed or the bolts won't come out of the traction bar.

Next, go inside the car, and pull the console the shifter is on off. You need to take the shift lever off...Its easy...two big bolts..... After that, you are finished on the inside.

Next there is a bar running across the car...it has 4 bolts...then there is a bracket where the traction bar attaches to the tranny.

After that is finished....Take the starter, and the slave cylinder off...Buy a new slave cylinder while you are doing this. I had to replace mine because it wouldn't depress the new clutch and it blew the seals out.

Once the starter and slave cylinder are off, you can begin unbolting the tranny.

The two toughest bolts to reach are on top of the bell housing. They are WAY in the back. So you will need a LONG extension to make it easy for you.

The tranny isn't gonna just fall off, make sure you shake it back and forth...just make sure you have a Jack or something to support it.

I took the transmission apart in two pieces. I took the tranny off first, and left the bell housing bolted to the motor. I did it by accident but it turned out to be easier that way.

If you replace your slave cylinder you will need to bleed your clutch...Its really easy... You need someone with you though...One to depress the pedal and one to pour fluid.

Also, the torque rating on the clutch isn't a lot. You will need someone to hold the crankshaft bolt while you tighten the bolts on the clutch. You can your the impact to get the bolts off, just don't put them on with it. The torque rating on the clutch is about 20 pounds.

Good luck on your search for clutches... I hope this helps you a little. If you have any questions, let me know.
thanks a lot turbolag86! this really helps ill pm u if i run into any problems

Quick Reply: 94 camaro z28 clutch??