1995 z28, opinions on upgrades and tips will be greatly appreciated

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2010, 09:17 AM
September 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

it's a noob, nuf said wham.

Old 10-07-2010, 09:29 PM
In the Staging Lanes

sorry about the long time with no reply, i have done some mods, ill list at the end of this post, new headers n still some white smoke, and voltage is low and speedometer is fluctuating. I am putting in seafoam next week,also, should i stop using synthetic oil?
maf,tb bypass, ac delco opti, accel 300+ ignition, new water pump, accel plugs n wires, tuff stuff 200 amp alternator, k&n filter, 160therm, pacesetter longtubes, custom y pipe, no cats, new springs, and new tie rod(dont ask)

Old 10-07-2010, 09:53 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

is it running rich. check the speed sensor connection at the transmission for damage to the sensor or wires. does the voltage read the same with a volt meter at the battery. could be the gage or ground or sensor connection to it.

Old 10-07-2010, 10:08 PM
In the Staging Lanes

it smells like its burning fuel, battery reads fine but shop said alternator isn't charging it. im thinking faulty alternator or some thing isnt doing its job, the alternator is 2 days old. Walmart says battery is completely fine. voltage always reads low on my car,it gets better(still a lil below norm) when im driving, untill i stop. im bringing it by an electrical place on monday to get there opinion. Craby, feel free to give your opinion on my other, more recent thread. thankyou

Old 10-08-2010, 03:13 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

just using the k&n filter is not going to do much for you. pick up a moroso cai, they work great and like i said the power gain is noticable. the straight cai's do not work as well although the slp is sorta staight and is better than a moroso or k&n. cost jump is quite a bit though. check out the stickies, there is a sticky that goes into bolt on mods that would be a good place to go. the best additions to these motors from a bolt on point of view are in air intake and exhaust. the stock setups are not that good. you have the headers now you need the cat back and cai. the tb on the motor is pretty good and unless you port the heads and intake with bigger valves and add a good cam a bigger one is not needed. same with the injectors they are good to 300 hp or so and if you up the pressure a little more. have a look at what lloyd has at elliotts. http://www.elliottsportworks.com/lt1.html

Old 10-08-2010, 09:38 PM
In the Staging Lanes

i dont have my cats anymore, should i get an aftermarket one put on? cai will be next, and will i benefit from a aftermarket 52mm tb? i checked out a bunch of cams that work without messing with anything else stock, or should i just wait and port it and get a better cam?

Old 10-08-2010, 10:32 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

yes, i went with the best i could find. the design of the exhaust effects the performance. theres info on the net as far as different sounds form different exhaust. lotts of the guys like the borla because its got good sound and is adjustable. once you get the exhaust and intake done the next place to go is the heads and intake and if your doin them may as well do the cam and lifters while your in there, its a pita but you can do it with motor in car, if you have a high miles motor you wont want to get carried away so le1 heads and say the second cam down on his list would be good and get you some nice gains all the way around. but then lloyd is the man when it comes to getting hp from these motors so i would call him. when you know what you want give him a call and get an idea of what funds will be needed to do the deed. then start planning.

Last edited by craby; 10-08-2010 at 10:35 PM.
Old 10-11-2010, 09:04 PM
In the Staging Lanes

i really just want to cutt off the muffler and run side exhaust. will that be way too loud n could it hurt the engine?

Old 10-17-2010, 03:51 PM

Air foils are a waste of time unless you opt for a 52 MM throttle body too. They are installed at once and are cheap now on the web chat rooms. Yours is a vented opti and GM makes the best...labor is $170.00 so figure around $ 400 plus labor to install it. Go GM all the way...it is a rip off but they work better than the after market ones. Labor for the water pump is reduced because the opti is already there and the proceedure is simpler when done together... Use various web forums and chat rooms to find the hop up mods at a terrific dicount. Thes cars are fading from grace and mods are getting cheaper/ Jason Short in Rochester NY has lots of discounted parts. But, buy the opti new.

Old 10-21-2010, 12:16 AM
1st Gear Member

Quick Reply: 1995 z28, opinions on upgrades and tips will be greatly appreciated