LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

Brake Rotor Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 10:43 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Brake Rotor Question

Hey guys, I know this question has been asked multiple times, but I couldn't quite locate the answer I needed...

I am looking to replace my current rotors on my '95 Z because the ones I have on seem to be warped; I get some vibration while braking and I know they got hosed down after a long ride...you could hear them sizzle...when I was getting it washed. Currently, I have EBC Ultimax Slotted/Dimpled rotors and I am not sure what kind I should get to replace them. I am not looking to spend a TON of money, but something in the mid-range category. What brands do you guys recommend? Powerstop? EBC? Summit?

Also, what type of rotor should I go with; slotted, drilled, both, or solid? Besides this warping issue, I had no other issues with my current EBC rotors. Performance was definitely improved over the stock rotors and pad life didn't seem to be effected much if at all, but its also not my daily driver anymore...

Thanks for the help!

Old 09-14-2011, 12:10 PM
Tech Droid

IMO, on a street car, slots, holes, and dimples are just a cosmetic thing. If anything they instigate rotor cracks and excessive pad wear.
If you want reliability get high end rotors made with quality cast iron of consistent density (no hard or soft spots) and proper heat treatment. Look into high end products from sources such as Raybestos, Aimco, Centric, etc.. The cheap stuff has a habit of warping if used hard.

Old 09-14-2011, 01:01 PM
1st Gear Member

THanks for the advice! I'm also looking at getting some ceramic pads, what brand do you recommend for those?

Old 09-14-2011, 01:41 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

I prefer Raybestos ceramic for the pads, and the same brand for the rotors has treated me well. I usually parts shop at rockauto.com. The reason you felt an improvement in performance with your current drilled and slotted rotors is because they were new and your old ones weren't. Other than the "placebo effect" they're not gonna make a noticeable difference on a street car to make it worth the extra expense.

Old 09-15-2011, 05:46 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

sounds like the calipers were sticking to make it hot enough to sizzle. make sure the runners are lubed with the proper grease and the calipers slide without hanging up.

Old 09-15-2011, 06:04 AM
I Like to Party

I used to get a little roughness when stopping as well, like the car was hesitating while braking. I was told to replace the pads because it's 'metal on metal' but I checked them and they seem fine. I already have new pads anyways so im going to replace them tomorrow but got a feeling that braking wont go away

Old 09-15-2011, 08:45 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by craby
sounds like the calipers were sticking to make it hot enough to sizzle. make sure the runners are lubed with the proper grease and the calipers slide without hanging up.
I did have my calipers replaced not too long ago. but I'll definitely take a look and make sure everything is lubed up well. How do I test to make sure the calipers slide properly? My rotors started to sizzle cuz we just got back from a long drive and my buddy instantly sprayed them with ice cold hose water. At least that's where I'm thinking/hoping the issue started and its nothing more...

Old 09-15-2011, 08:57 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by gagger84
My rotors started to sizzle cuz we just got back from a long drive and my buddy instantly sprayed them with ice cold hose water.
Never do that! Sudden changes in temperatures is what warps, and cracks metal.

Old 09-15-2011, 09:13 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
Never do that! Sudden changes in temperatures is what warps, and cracks metal.
Yeah believe me, I wasn't happy when I saw that happen. At least he is paying for the 2 front rotors to get replaced...

Old 09-15-2011, 09:30 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

just make sure the sliders are clean and lubed with caliper lube. doesnt take much lube, dont want it getting on the rotors. should be able to tell if they were not sliding or dry when you take em apart.

Quick Reply: Brake Rotor Question