LS Series Tech 1998-2002

Wheel lug problems!

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2006, 09:12 AM
Default Wheel lug problems!

Well, I am having rear end problems as you can read from my previous post. I went to take off the rear wheels to check the wheel bearings and I cant! The lugs are very odd looking. I bought lug from a local Tire store I liked about 2 years ago. They installed them, and well it seems I never got the "Special" socket that will fit them to remove them. The look like the have long 1/2 moon shaped grooves in them. I would take a picture for you guys but I could not get any to come out very well. I could however draw up a plan view of what I believe these to look like on autocad. But this will only be usefull to other people who have autocad at home I guess. Let me know what you think!

Old 05-27-2006, 03:19 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default RE: Wheel lug problems!

Wait so are you saying there's wheel locks on there? Uh....best bet would be to head over to that store again and see if they have a key that fits the lugs, just have them run out to your car and take a look...if not, just take it to a local tire joint, ask them if they can get them off without scratching the rims up on you..lemme know how it goes

Old 05-27-2006, 03:57 PM

I forgot to mention the store is now out of bussiness! I did take it by our local tire joint and they said they could get the lugs off, but were unsure if the rim would be safe lol. So i am going to keep looking for now.

Old 05-28-2006, 07:24 PM
2nd Gear member

wonder why they went out of business!! lol are they all that type of lugs or did they just have 1 with the keyed lug? i would take it to a belle tire or something that is a bigger chain, they got it off on my stock rims when i forgot to leave them the key, and if they mess them up they will most likely buy you a brand new rim (bigger tire chains have more to spend from revenue, and word of mouth gets them business.)

Old 05-28-2006, 10:19 PM

Nope, there is noe single "locking nut" like on the stock tires. All 5 on each wheel are this way. I need to install new wheel bearings on both sides of the rear so I will need to get these off soon. And WTF is the deal with the wheel bearings on these camaro's seems like i replace them every 20k on the rear! And I hardly ever really punch down on the throttle. to me the car is more just a cruiser that I enjoy having. Although if some young punk in a ricer or mustang pulls up I like to know I will walk away from him haha!

Old 05-29-2006, 05:16 PM
Tech Droid

There are special sockets made to remove damaged bolts which should also be able to unscrew your lug nuts. They have left handed threads cut into them and latch on to the outside of the nut when you try unscrewing it. I saw them at Sears.