LS Series Tech 1998-2002

Whats the Difference?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2007, 12:02 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Whats the Difference?

Whats the difference between a Cold-air induction package and a cold-air intake? If I were to get one of them, should I get the other? Which should I get if only one?

Old 04-19-2007, 10:31 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Whats the Difference?

what kits are you looking at? I thought you already had a lid, bellows, K&N filter, and the free ram air mod?

Old 04-19-2007, 04:51 PM
1st Gear Member

I don't have the lid and bellows yet, those are both what I'd like to get next. I do have the K&N filter and the free ram air. So your saying if I have all 4 of these than I don't need the cold-air induction package? Here's link to the cold-air induction. Its actually sold with the lid, bellows, and k&n air filter but I could also get it by itself. I'm thinking the cold-air induction package is the same thing as the "free ram air" that I custom did myself. What do you think?

Here it is sold by itself:
http://store.summitracing.com/partde...p;autoview=sku

Sold as the package:
http://store.summitracing.com/partde...p;autoview=sku

Old 04-19-2007, 07:08 PM
1st Gear Member

yeah, what i think is that SLP just made some sheet metal box to make money off of the free ram air mod. You get more flow without the box. Just get the lid and bellows and you'll be set. Also take a look at the MAF porting job on installuniversity. Its just below the free ram air mod. Be careful though if you do do it, you can break the sensitive electronical part in the middle. I did the free ram air mod monday and the MAF porting tuesday, deffinetly saw a difference in throttle response and overall power from both. Thanks for telling me about the ram air.

Old 04-19-2007, 08:44 PM
1st Gear Member

oh awesome, good to hear you did some stuff off the website. I looked at the MAF porting job, isn't that if you have a new MAF and you want to replace it? or is it like the free ram air where its free and gives you more hp... I think you're right about what SLP did though, good point

Also, do you have any messengers brothers? I'd love to talk cars with you sometime if you do. Yahoo? MSN? aim?

Old 04-20-2007, 12:31 AM
1st Gear Member

no messengers, used to have aim but i haven't usedit in forever. Anyway, imnot sure if its for stock MAFs or for aftermarket ones but i did it to mine and i saw a difference. I just tooh out the screen and followed the directions and mine came out better than the one in the picture. Smooth as a baby's ***. It saved me $200 b/c i was going to get the SLP one untill i saw the write up. I couldn't imagine the SLP one being any better than a ported stock one.

Old 04-20-2007, 02:13 AM
1st Gear Member

How hard was it really? I just bought a dremel tonight so I think I'm gonna knock it out maybe tomorrow. How long did it take you?

Old 04-20-2007, 02:40 AM
1st Gear Member

Also, can you go back to the "Porting the MAF" on the website for me and take a look at number 6 for me? I'm unsure of what thats asking there. Did you do number 6? Cause I looked at the before and after and didn't say any change... hmmm

Old 04-20-2007, 11:46 AM
1st Gear Member

it wasn't too hard, you just have to take your time. It took my about an hour and a half, but i took my time. About #6 you will see what they're talking about when you take it apart. The picture on the site is what the middle plastic piece will look like after you cut the sides off. Just take your time and good luck. Make sure you have at least 220 grit sand paper to smooth it down and some polishing compound and a polishing dremel bit to make it smooth.

Old 04-20-2007, 05:31 PM
1st Gear Member

Hey man I've got the 2 halves apart and the black center piece to the side right now. I need to know how to get the screen off that one half so I can get in and take out the middle. I don't want to damage the screen though. The faster you respond the better, thanks

Quick Reply: Whats the Difference?