Camaro Forums - Chevy Camaro Enthusiast Forum

Camaro Forums - Chevy Camaro Enthusiast Forum (https://camaroforums.com/forum/)
-   LS Series Tech (https://camaroforums.com/forum/ls-series-tech-15/)
-   -   ss hood on z28 functional? (https://camaroforums.com/forum/ls-series-tech-15/ss-hood-z28-functional-41407/)

flemingshane 08-03-2009 12:04 AM

ss hood on z28 functional?

is the ss hood on a z28 functional or do you need to change the airbox? and where does the air enter the box?

cbr600rx7 08-03-2009 04:41 PM

The SS hood is not functional on a SS its only for looks and maybe to lower under hood temps by a very very small amount. Suncoast makes the Raptor hood that is a true ram air hood. The hood is like 800 bucks and the ram intake is like a 275 dollar option.

flemingshane 08-04-2009 11:56 AM

i thinK your wrong cbr the hood is functunal on a ss

sk8rax350 08-13-2009 12:09 AM

The SS hood is functional, just probably not the most effective of the ones out there! I've seen a good functioning ram air hood by SLP, opens up right in front of the air box.

Soul Per4mance 08-30-2009 04:22 AM

The Functional hood that you Want is Called the "Z Style hood" Suncoast makes it.

sk8rax350 09-02-2009 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by Soul Per4mance (Post 359690)
The Functional hood that you Want is Called the "Z Style hood" Suncoast makes it.

Yeah, that's the one! I have a friend with that hood on his Z28, and it looks pretty good! Looks effective too!

LHill00Z28 10-22-2009 05:34 PM

Sure you can make it functional but don't expect any performance gain over a simple SLP Lid. The only real benefit is the looks!

germ89 10-26-2009 09:43 PM

?

thanks that cleared one of my ?

Zoilus 11-11-2009 03:41 PM

If you look under an SS hood and you can follow from where the scoop is to the front of the hood, you should see like 2 air ducts going out from each side of the scoop , curving and then heading to the front of the hood and merging together. while looking under the hood if at the front you see opening/s where these 2 ducts merge .....then the hood is functional. If you squat down right in front of the airbox you and look at it head on, you will see...even on a Z...that there is a gap right under the lid, you can quickly figure out that the opening that is where the 2 ducts merge is aligned with this area and thats where the air goes. Now If there is a piece of plastic in the front of the hood scoop...take it off.

I have a Z28 ...bought my fiberglass aftermarket SS hood for like $520 shipped! Its functional and even better I have a Volant CAI which takes full advantage of this...of course like any functional SS hood it really only makes a difference at higher speeds.

cbr600rx7 11-15-2009 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by cbr600rx7 (Post 350428)
The SS hood is not functional on a SS its only for looks and maybe to lower under hood temps by a very very small amount. Suncoast makes the Raptor hood that is a true ram air hood. The hood is like 800 bucks and the ram intake is like a 275 dollar option.

As i said both the factory WS6 and SS hood do nothing as far as performace goes. They look good and maybe help lower under hood temps by a little bit but they are not true functional hoods like some of the older F-bodys where the air box was sealed to the top of the hood to pull in out side air into the intake.

On the 4th gen the SS and WS6 air is pulled up from up under the front air dam and up into the intake that sits on the very front of the car. This means the air being forced into the hood does not enter the intake of the car since the scoops are located behind where the intake sits.

If i am not mistaken the only factory 4th gen with a true ram air system would be the Firehawk with the scoop sitting near the front of the hood and a open air box sitting right under it forcing air into down the throat of the intake.

And from what i have read and as said above its just about the same gains you would see from a normal SLP or Wisper intake system so is it worth a 800 dollar hood and another 275 for the intake. Thats for you too figure out but i would say no.