LS Series Tech 1998-2002

lakewood rear control arms

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2008, 04:04 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default lakewood rear control arms

ok i have a 98 z and i am looking to get some better traction has anyone used the lakewood traction action lift bars and if you have let me know how they work

Old 03-02-2008, 05:46 PM
Ninja Administrator
Default RE: lakewood rear control arms

I dont have lakewood, i have tractek, but they all work about the same. These things will help you out a little, but chances are your tires arent gripping hard enough to actually flex the stock LCA's much.

what you may try instead is a set of relocation brackets, either alone, or with a set of tubular LCA's. I started with just the LCA's and didntnotice much of a difference, however i got the LCA's a little bit later and wheel hop was almost completely eliminated. where it used to bounce in the 1-2 shift became a firm squat and a solid chirp. the relocation brackets are probably my best investment to date on my trans am.

you will need a little grinder like a dremel though. there is a bracket that surounds the stock LCA that holds the brake lines. if you grind off just the outside flap of this bracket you can push the other side out just a little and slide the relocator in between the bracket and the LCA mount. if it doesnt make sense right now it will when u see it (or at least this is just how it was onmy car which is a 98 trans am).

Old 03-02-2008, 08:20 PM
In the Staging Lanes

yeah your probably right were did you buy your relocation brackets from

Old 03-02-2008, 08:32 PM
Ninja Administrator

hmmmm, i was going to direct u toa sponsor but i couldnt find one on their site. did u just get ur car, and have a previous z? ur name is confusing me [&:][8D].

i got my stuff from www.ls1speed.com
http://www.ls1speed.com/catagory.cfm...%20/%20Chassis

any of those will probably work, u want the bolt in versions unless u intend on a shop doing it for u (or u can weld). i can personally vouch for the traktec setups, and there is nothing stopping u from getting the LCA's at the same time if u want to spend the money. but if it comes down to a budget, i would buy the relocation brackets before the LCA's i know a couple other guys who have done this too, however ur stock bushings may be crap and make the job difficult.

Old 03-02-2008, 08:43 PM
In the Staging Lanes

hahah yeah i just got my 98 i had a silver 96 that i did alot of work on but some stupid *** kid ran a red light and hit the front end of my car and totaled it so i got my 98 and am going to rebuild my 96 thanks for all the help

Old 03-02-2008, 08:46 PM
Ninja Administrator

no problem, id say "hope u enjoy" but i know u will [8D]

Old 03-02-2008, 08:54 PM
In the Staging Lanes

so i have about 300 to spend so if i get the lower control arms and the relocation bracket ill still have money left over what would you guys recomend me to spend that on

Old 03-02-2008, 08:59 PM
Ninja Administrator

that will give u about 100 left after tax on shipping assuming u went the route i went. u got a lid? what is all on the car? there is a really nifty "how to" tech thread stickied in the 4th gen section that outlines an approach to modding [8D] (i just put it together and I want to see how useful it is to people wondering about "which mod to do first/next", PM me feedback if u use it and it helps u out, but its really newbie oriented)

Old 03-02-2008, 09:08 PM
In the Staging Lanes

ok ill check it out no i dont have a lid yet all thats done to my car is a ported and pollished maf and a slp loudmouth i was thinking maybe a cutout

Old 03-02-2008, 09:10 PM
Ninja Administrator

[sm=insomnia.gif] cutouts but no lid? did u do that or the previous owner? i would recommend u just get a lid, slp sells a flopac with smoothbellows and a scoop, all you really need is the lid tho and they sell them separate, just some choices for u.

Quick Reply: lakewood rear control arms