LS Series Tech 1998-2002

Just got a camaro... 400hp?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2007, 11:48 AM
Default Just got a camaro... 400hp?

I just got a '02 SS SLP. I love this thing!!I want to get it up around 400hp (in the ball park of SVT cobra beater!! ) eventually and was wondering what is that best route to go there. Its gonna be strictly my pleasure car.

Also... any tips on keeping my SS tip top?

clay bar, certain spark plugs, synthetic, best injector cleaner, etc??

i know italot of open ended stuff here, but i just got the car and im really amped up about it!!

Old 06-11-2007, 11:52 AM
2nd Gear member
Default RE: Just got a camaro... 400hp?

100 shot of nitrous

Old 06-11-2007, 12:00 PM

also... how does the slp exhaust compare with magnaflow and the other ones out there?

Old 06-11-2007, 12:47 PM
2nd Gear member

only use 93 octane, its in your owner's manual

i use NGK TR-6s for my spark plugs becuase i use nitrous, you might want to check out the NGK TR-55s

i use only mobil 1 full synthetic

i use seafoam for injector cleaner

i've never claybar'd my car because i don't have that much patience or a nice shady area

Old 06-11-2007, 03:05 PM
Overdrive Member

Claybar goes as fast as washing it...it's just a quick second step after the initial wash before you wax it.

Wax/polish I use Zano Bro's 3 step "show polish" it's the shiniest freakin' finish I've ever seen, it seems to get really high ratings in reviews as well. If you get the whole kit it comes with a claybar.
Use a good Platinum plug in the least, if you want to shell out the bucks for some iridium or whatnot that's up to you.
Everyone seems to recomend seafoam, I've never used it, but probably should sometime.
Oil often depends on how you drive and how far you drive, but to be safe, and if you have a big wallet, go for a full synthetic and change it every 3k.

Now, the HP thing. Start off with bolt ons, they'll benefit you later, so a lid, headers, cat back etc. After that, like Nickdotcom said, you can go for some nitrous(but I think that's cheating), if I were you, after the bolt ons I'd go for some heads and cam. You already have the LS6 intake manifold, so no need there until you get over 450 or so HP, but then you can start thinking about the FAST 90mm intake manifold and TB setup. If it's a manual, get a short throw, for an auto get a high RPM stall and a shift kit. If you don't mind buying a bit more gas, you can get more agressive gears in the rear end(manual get 4.11's auto get 3.73's). Not all of those will get you "HP" but they'll all help make your car into a Cobra Eating Machine!

Old 06-11-2007, 04:07 PM
1st Gear Member

I agree with everything silverz28 said. Nitrous is cheating and will eventually cause problems for you if you spray it alot. If you look into heads and a cam do research and if you have any questions about cams you can call any speed shop or online performance shop and they will be more than helpful to you. A good set of exhaust and headers will help that baby breath and will help when you amp up the performance with the heads and cams. The gears as Z28 said will not help in hp gain but will make it feel a heck of a lot faster. I hope this helps and by the way if you opt for the nitrous I wouldn't go any bigger than 100 shot or you might jack up your motor.

Old 06-11-2007, 08:27 PM
2nd Gear member

someone please explain how nitrous is cheating

and big-bird please explain how it will cause problems if you spray alot. driving too much also causes problems, you probably shouldn't do that

i think that majority talk crap about nitrous because you don't have very much knowledge on how it works

Old 06-11-2007, 09:40 PM
4th Gear Member

Fast is fast, no matter how you do it. N2O is no different (in therory) than a turbo or blower. 99% of the time anti-nitrous people are those with little to no experiance with it. Back on subject: A heads/cam/full bolt car will see an easy 400+ rwhp. At work we just did a H/C/I (Typhoon Intake).along with injectors and a tune and the car put down 439 rwhp on our Mustang Dyno (which are known for reading lower than DynoJet).

Old 06-11-2007, 11:09 PM
Overdrive Member

Ah Nick, chill out buddy, I'm just messin'. The only reason I wont' put N2O on my car is because I think there's something cool and novel about a car that runs whatever time at the strip all motor, it's just personal preference. I just happen to think that cubes are cooler than bottles, that's all.

Old 06-12-2007, 09:50 AM

yeah... im not too big on nitrous either. i think im gonna go with magnaflow cat back exhaust and get some long tube headers to start off my car.

Quick Reply: Just got a camaro... 400hp?