LS Series Tech 1998-2002

Motor died..What options?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2009, 07:40 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Motor died..What options?

So as the title says my motor bit the dust on me. Thought it was a valve tap or a bent pushrod, but turns out it's in the bottom end. Unfortunately I do not have the means of pulling the motor to further investigate so I am having my uncle (mechanic of 20 something years who is now laid off) "fix" the problem. My question to you guys is what would be the most cost effective option for me. I am not opposed to building up the motor since it'll be torn apart anyway, but I don't want to spend too much money. I have basically four options. The first, simplest approach would be to get a Jasper rebuilt motor, that one's pretty cut and dry. Second would be to get OEM-spec replacement parts and just completely rebuild MY motor. Third option would be to do a built 350, and fourth would be to stroke it (383 only, no bigger). I have tried looking around but it appears Jasper has removed the thing that allows you to check pricing on your own. As for the building up of the motors I honestly don't know where to start. I am not looking for a whole lot of power, say around 400 or so. I DO want to keep some of the fuel efficiency. I have a 6 speed so that's a plus. I can get aftermarket parts at let's assume 25 percent off so that can be figured into my pricing here. I'm basically looking for the most cost effective option, but I figured while I'm in there, it may not really be too much more just to get some "better" stuff. Thanks.

P.S-Just a thought, can I drop an LS6 Jasper motor in without getting anything new computer wise?

Old 09-14-2009, 07:57 PM
3rd Gear Member

How many miles did your LS1 have it? Just out of curiosity.

Old 09-14-2009, 08:41 PM
1st Gear Member

The motor had 135,000. It ran real strong up until the minute it went. I couldn't believe it.

Old 09-14-2009, 08:51 PM
1st Gear Member

My motor isn't dead, but it's burning quite a bit of oil. So within the next couple years I'll be in the same boat as you since I'd like to either rebuild or swap it out. Problem is mine's a V6 so going to a V8 would be costly and complicated. So if I can't do a V8 I'm thinking rebuilt or new 3800 for me.

Old 09-16-2009, 09:07 PM
1st Gear Member

Anybody out there have an opinion even???

Old 09-17-2009, 01:01 AM
3rd Gear Member

I'd recommend building or stroking if you have the time and money.

Old 09-17-2009, 05:42 AM
3rd Gear Member

ok then

1: drop a motor in it that has been half built with performance and oem parts

2: if you top end is ok? then build up the bottom (350) with pro parts if its not wreaked ( its not worth oem as the price difference cant be too much of an increase for pro parts and will last!!)

3: as 2 with 383.

Really you need to put up some costs so we can comment more. If a build is cheaper than a crate then build it, and provided a pro build is cheaper do that. The stroker will be the best bet but again its all about the cost. If its all same price, it is EASIER to drop a motor in, but personally I like doing my own work so would but it myself. 383 is easy 400hp!

Just out of interst do you know what went ? did you spin a bearing shell?? I,ve heard of this before. Do you know about the cars service history etc??

Old 09-17-2009, 09:28 AM
1st Gear Member

As far as the cost goes that's kinda what I was asking you guys here. I know what parts I would need to rebuild the motor, but I don't know which parts and which manufacturerers are considered good, bad, etc. so it would be hard for me to come up with pricing.

As for what went with the motor I'm not really sure yet, but it's definitely in the bottom end. The car is making an extremely loud "tap" (but obviously much worse than simple tap) and sounds like it wants to just blow apart when you give it any gas. I am afraid to run it much more even just sitting at idle for fear I might damage the block.

Old 09-17-2009, 10:21 AM

Find a slightly used ls6 out of a cts-v. Thats what I was going to do with my 99. If your gonna build a stroker motor, you want to use the lq9 truck block. Its an FE block so it can take more. Or you could always just replace the rotating assembly if your top end is still good. I had the same issue when I blew my 99 z28 up. GMPP had ls6 long blocks for 3400 as long as you said you were putting it into a cts-v. I believe all you need to change for that is the oil pan and ecm. Or you can do what I did wind up doing, sell the car and get something fresher. Either way you go, best of luck.

Old 09-17-2009, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by DMateo
My motor isn't dead, but it's burning quite a bit of oil. So within the next couple years I'll be in the same boat as you since I'd like to either rebuild or swap it out. Problem is mine's a V6 so going to a V8 would be costly and complicated. So if I can't do a V8 I'm thinking rebuilt or new 3800 for me.
What about dropping in a 3.8 turbo out of say a grand national? Ive been wondering if thats possible.

Quick Reply: Motor died..What options?