LS Series Tech 1998-2002

Bang for the Buck???

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2007, 09:30 PM
Default Bang for the Buck???

I have the mods in my sig, and about $565 to spend! What woould be the best part(s) that I could buy for more performance? My parents are getting me some MSD wires and some chassis upgrades for christmas. I was thinking of maybe de-screening my MAF and some underdrive pulleys, but that would leave me with around $300 left. Any ideas on what to spend it on, or better things to spend the $565 on? Is ds-screening my MAF safe to do on a street car?

Old 11-12-2007, 06:33 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Bang for the Buck???

Descreening your MAF should be ok. But with that kind of money gears would be your best bet. If you are an Auto get 3.73 in a M6 get the 4.10 and have them professionally installed. Just be aware that if you change the ratio that your speedo and odometer will be off. Get a programmer that can change the gear ratio and tire size, If you want it to be right.

Old 11-12-2007, 07:36 PM

I'm an A4 guy! What will the gears do for me?

Old 11-18-2007, 01:46 PM
April 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

ORIGINAL: 0235SS

I have the mods in my sig, and about $565 to spend! What woould be the best part(s) that I could buy for more performance? My parents are getting me some MSD wires and some chassis upgrades for christmas. I was thinking of maybe de-screening my MAF and some underdrive pulleys, but that would leave me with around $300 left. Any ideas on what to spend it on, or better things to spend the $565 on? Is ds-screening my MAF safe to do on a street car?
*Descreening MAF as the post above mentioned, should be fine.

*Don't waste your money on the MSD wires. Many Many people who run extraordinaryly fast cars just use (or go back to) the stock wires. Stocks are a 1 piece design and I assure you when you change your plugs, those MSD ones will start breaking because they are a 2 piece. Plus the distance of the wires are way to short to make a difference. And performance wise think of it like this: they are like buying a regular USB cable for something for your computer as opposed to a 24k gold plated one. The 24k one will cost you like $30 the regular one $10 at most, the speed between the 2 is the same. Then why bother with the 24K? Same with the wires, they are red and they have the MSD name...big deal! Plus your car is not nearly modded enough to benefitfully from the tiny microscopic gains.

*Get gears and a Ported Throttle Body. A guy on LS1tech cansell you a fully modded TB for about $100-$110 with the bump stop mod, epoxy fill in...etc. This will compliment your Lid and Maf very well and is just the next logical step. And you can do the install easily yourself! Gears will increase your acceleration but at the price of using abit more gas. The level of extra gas consumption differs from car to car and driver to driver. You can find the Motive brand on Ebay for pretty cheap.

Old 11-18-2007, 06:09 PM

ok thanks for the info!

Old 11-18-2007, 08:32 PM
2nd Gear member

i would say do not get gears i was going to get 3 73s and i called and talked to the people at texas speeds for ever ordering parts and b.s.ing with them and i was told that i shouldnt waste time geting gears cuz they do so little for the price, yes they will accelerate your car faster but a torque converter would do way more for you... or you could go with some nitrous and boost ur hp up some, or buy a tuner,but i would not do gears... get urself somthing that will make a difference u will feel.....

Old 11-18-2007, 09:50 PM
1st Gear Member

I don't know about with an auto, but I have to disagree with you 98SS. I don't have an auto but I have a M6 in my SS. I put 3.90:1 gear ratio in my rear end it cost me 500 for parts and labor. In the quarter I have ran a best of 13.4 then when I put the gears in I got a 12.9 consistently. So I don't see texas-speed can say gears don't help. For 500 bucks I don't think there is anything other than maybe nitrous that can drop over a 1/2 second of your ET.

Old 11-18-2007, 10:54 PM
2nd Gear member

[hr]
well im telling you wat they told me and just tryin to help you out... and i would have to agree with some that knows there **** vs a guy off the internet that thinks they know there **** ya know so ..

Old 11-19-2007, 03:17 PM
1st Gear Member

Hey I never said you were wrong in what they told you or what you said so don't get your panties in a bunch. I simply disagreed with you is all and said what I have seen with my personal experience. They gears may not be as much of help in an auto as they are in my M6. So possibly a shif kit and torque converter may be a better route. And also I thought the 02 SS ONLY came in a M6 not an auto? Am I wrong?

Old 11-19-2007, 05:52 PM
2nd Gear member

idk i would think they would hav autos???

Quick Reply: Bang for the Buck???