LS Series Tech 1998-2002

**** skip

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2006, 12:49 AM
Default **** skip

So i hope to pick up my 2002 z28 Monday and i have done a lot of reading about the car. One thing that i have read and i have questions about is this shift skip thing. How does this work what does this do. So far I don’t like it.

Old 05-20-2006, 07:58 AM
Default RE: **** skip

The skip shift was supposably put in the car to better the mileage ratings and avoid a gass guzzeler tax? <so Iv'e been told> What happens is under a certain percentage of throttle it will lock out 2nd gear, and you have to shift into 3rd and it will drive you crazy because you'r lugging badly. Only time I have had this happen to me is at a stoplight with cars in front of me, light turns green, you take off in 1st you go to shift into 2nd to let the rpm come down a little and you have no where to go anyway, and no 2nd, go to 3rd, now you'r going about 30 miles an hour in third gear, only way around it is let it wind out more in first. You will figure it out pretty quick when you start driving it, what rpm or mph it will happen, and it's ALWAYS under light throttle conditions, It won't happen that often, but when it does the first couple times you will be like what the heck is going on <and there is a light that comes on in the insturment panel> I would drive it for a while if it bothers you, there is a module that you can buy that plugs into the harness to the transmission, to eliminate this all together, it costs about $50.00, and sound like the longest part of the install would be getting under the car! I have seen a couple companies selling them, but can't remember who right of had, might check slponline.com. hope this helps some!

Old 05-20-2006, 08:35 AM
January 2007 ROTM

let it wind out more in first
This is what I do alot .................. the skip shift , I use it when I can not rev up the engine to go into second. Best thing to do is if you are stopped give a little distance between you and the car in front of you and then take off , rev up the engine in first and go ahead and shift into second , act like you didn't know the light turned green and then go.

That is what I do.

Old 05-20-2006, 11:44 AM
4th Gear Member

Why not just get the skip shift eliminator kit or better yet go to Radio shack and get a $.20 resistor and plug it in. Check out www.installuniversity.com for more info. Even better here is a direct link to the page.
http://www.installuniversity.com/ins...adio_shack.htm

Old 05-20-2006, 05:01 PM

Well im glad i understand now. I was doing some reading and i was like whatttttttt! but any ways thank you for your help. I deff like it here already.

Old 06-22-2006, 05:26 AM
1st Gear Member

hey I got the $.20 resistor and that didn't work out at all so I just got fed up with the damn thing and picked up an CAGS eliminater switch from hurst it took car of that pesky thing