Intake, Headers, and Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

y- pipe question

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2007, 10:07 PM
Overdrive Member
Default y- pipe question

whats the difference between a y-pipe and an off road y-pipe ? i was going to buy a Jet-Hot off road y-pipe but not sure if its ok to use on the street, even though it has o2 sensor fittings

Old 01-12-2007, 10:37 PM
2nd Gear member
Default RE: y- pipe question

they call it offroad because you can't use it onroad, its offroad cuz it doesn't have cats

Old 01-12-2007, 11:22 PM
Overdrive Member

yes i understand that, but you can you them with the cat/s that are already on the car, why does it have o2 sensor bungs then ?

Old 01-12-2007, 11:44 PM
2nd Gear member

im gona guess that was supposed to be "use" with old cats

and im pretty sure you can't use them with your old cats, and oxygen sensors have nothing to do with cats

Old 01-13-2007, 01:20 AM
Overdrive Member

ok, well i will be getting Jet- Hot Long Tube Headers, will any regular street y-pipe fit ? like for example if i get a hooker y-pipe that is designed for my 93 lt1 ? also if i install headers, wont i have to replace the exhaust manifolds ? and if i do, where can i get new ones ?

Old 01-13-2007, 01:27 AM
2nd Gear member

only certain headers fit certain y-pipes, are you serious about the manifold question? headers replace exhaust manifolds

Old 01-13-2007, 12:52 PM
Tech Droid

Don't complicate your life; get the whole exhaust package from the same maker, so you will know it all fits toghether. Headers with a stock Y pipe and stock exhaust won't give you much, because of the restrictions in the stock plumbing. Make sure there are bungs for thr O2 sensors before the cats or the car won't run too good.

Old 01-13-2007, 11:08 PM
Overdrive Member

will i have to get new o2 sensors or will the stock ones work with the new headers ?

and cant i use a different cat-back system other than Hooker if go with Hooker headers and y-pipe ?

Old 01-14-2007, 05:13 AM
Overdrive Member

You will need the headers to have an O2 bung in the collector, so make sure they aren't a competition only header. You can use the O2 sensors you have, but you will need O2 wire extensions, my Dad and I made them for mine when we installed them, all it takes is some wire, solder and a soldering iron, but if you aren't experienced with soldering etc, I'd suggest just purchasing the premade ones.

Nick-the O2 sensors after the cat actually do have something to do with them, otherwise they wouldn't be there. They are utilized to sense whether the cats are working or not, if you pull the cats and don't get O2 sims, your car will throw and error code, the SES light will come on, and you'll fail your next emissions test with your OBDII car. Alih doesn't have to worry about this because his car is a '93, which is before OBDII and therefore your car doesn't moniter whether the cats are working or not, theoretically you could go without cats, but if you have to pass emissions you're skrewed without them. If you get a Y pipe with cats, you can not only pass emissions testing, but help the enviornment too! And you really don't loose any horsepower with high flow cats anyway, it is kinda annoying because you have to plug the O2 bungs, I ended up using a pipe joiner with compression fittings and an end cap and some teflon tape.

You can use a different cat back system, but with any complete cat back system, you'll have to chop it. The Y is going to come back farther than the stock cat, so you have to chop off your existing system(my personal Y comes back just before the cross member), good news is, most of the Y's follow the existing exhaust location(probably because it's the only path to take), so any cat back system should work with some modification. Hope that clears some things up, if you have any more questions about exhaust I can probably answer them(I spent so long researching this stuff for my car...it's not even funny)

Old 01-14-2007, 05:22 AM
Overdrive Member

thanks you helped me out a lot i really appreciate it, i will let you know how it goes

Quick Reply: y- pipe question