Intake, Headers, and Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Y-PIPE

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2007, 09:38 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Y-PIPE

Does anyone know of anyone whomakes an off road y pipe that fits the stock manafolds on a 94 camaro LT1.I find them for Long tube and mid length headers,I do notwant to installheaders, butIwant a better flowing y-pipe.

Old 11-14-2007, 01:14 AM
Overdrive Member
Default RE: Y-PIPE

Go for a mandrel bent Y pipe that is made for shorty headers, it'll bolt up to the manifolds. The cat is the least of your worries, especially if you get a good high flow cat with your new Y pipe. I know that Edelbrock makes a mandrel Y, and I'm sure some other companies do to.

Old 11-14-2007, 10:23 AM
ROTM Winner
ROTM Winner's Club

ahh slvr...you're such a good source of information. i mean...i didn't even need to ask you a question to get the answer i was looking for! haha. so thanks 1994z28 for asking the question for me! haha

Old 11-14-2007, 06:18 PM
2nd Gear member

would that same y pipe fit a 94 v6?

Old 11-15-2007, 01:15 AM
Overdrive Member

Nope, I'm pretty sure the manifolds come off in a different location, but I'm pretty sure they make them for the V6. I know that Pacesetter makes a shorty header, so I'd assume that they make a Y pipe for them as well.

To the Gentlemen with the LT1's, I'd strongly encourage you to save your money for full long tube headers if you don't live in California. If you're going to do the Y pipe, you'll want to end up replacing the stock manifolds anyway, so if you just go for the big one on the first try it'll save you some money and get you more torque. It'll take a little more time for the install, but it's well worth it.

Old 11-15-2007, 08:15 AM
ROTM Winner
ROTM Winner's Club

my problem is finding someone to install the headers. idk if you've ran into this but the mechanics around here HATE working under the hood of my car cause there's no room, haha. and all most of them say is that headers leak all the time. what do you think?

Old 11-15-2007, 01:52 PM
Overdrive Member

All headers are a pain to install, that's just the way they work, especially on our cars because their isn't much room. The install isn't too technical, it consists of
1) Remove stock Y pipe and manifolds(probably twisting off 1/2 the bolts in the flanges while you're at it), take out plugs while you're at it so you don't break them, or just replace them too.
2) Unbolt front engine mounts and jack motor up as high as you can get it(the intake manifold will start to get close to the windshield cowl dealy...)
3) Make sure you have a friend and some beer
4) Attempt to install headers, ***** and moan about how you can't get them in
5) Eat something and have a beer
6) Go out and actually get the headers in
7) Chop off part of cat-cack and install Y-pipe

It's not that hard, just takes some time and effort. As far as leaks go, I personally had a bad leak right at the head, but I neglected to tighten the header bolts on a regular basis (when you first put the heads on the expansion/contraction from the changes in the heat loosens the bolts and you need to tighten them), and that ended up killing one of my gaskets. So, I got some higher quality gaskets (Mr. Gasket Premium) and I haven't had any issues since. I think headers get a bad rap because some people have trouble with them and they don't keep up on them, I've had mine for over a year with only one issue.

Old 03-13-2008, 11:54 AM

im about to buy an off road y pipe for my 2002 camaro ss..
i had some questions if anyone could help me answer.
i have stock manifold and stock headers and stuff...and i want to put on a pacesetter off road y pipe connected to my Corsa cat-back i already have on there...
would it make a big difference in sound? because i would like it louder =]]
would it add alot of HP/TRQ? how much
and is it easy to install to replace the stock y pipe?
if anyone could help me i would appreciate it...
thanks

Old 03-13-2008, 03:14 PM
Overdrive Member

/postrevival[]

To answer your questions:
Make sure you get a Y pipe that is made to bolt to stock locations, I would say that most off-road Y pipes are made to be used with Long Tube headers.
It will probably make the car a bit louder, but I wouldn't expect too big of a jump in loudness.
It's hard to say how much HP/TQ it would add, most people do long tubes with a new Y pipe, so I've never seen any dyno results with just a new Y pipe, but a good estimation would probably be around 15 HP or so, but you probably won't get too much torque out of the Y-pipe, in order to get good torque numbers you need at least a long tube header, or better yet a tuned long tube.
Installation could go pretty smoothly, but it depends on how stuck the bolts are in the flange of the manifold. I know when I replaced mine 1/2 the bolts twisted off, but it didn't really matter because I was taking the manifolds off anyway. In your case you're going to need to soak the bolts on the flange for a couple of days with a penetrating oil (Aerokroil is my first recomendation if you can find it, followed by PB Blaster). If you can get those bolts out pretty easily the installation shouldn't be too bad except for some tight places that you'll have to get a wrench/hand. Good Luck!

Old 03-13-2008, 07:17 PM

dang that sounds so much more complicated. my friend was gunna do it for me, cuz he put his on his 350z and ****. he said wed probablly have to hollow out the two cats and use them as a straigh pipe if the Y pipe didnt reach up the the manifold...but if they did we could take the cats off, im so confused haha. i just want to make my car loud as fargles. haha
i was gunna save up and buy new headers, but i am gettin the pacesetter off road y pipe...it said it conects slip fir to stock setup...so im guessin

=]] so if you could clerify.
thanks

**This Censoship has been brought to you by 95slvrZ28, in the future, please attempt to keep language content at a family appropriate level, thanks**

Quick Reply: Y-PIPE