Intake, Headers, and Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Y pipe??

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2007, 12:14 PM
Default Y pipe??

Alright i am looking for a Y pipe for my 95Z, i have a flowmaster catback on there now, but everywhere i look to get a y pipe it says recomended use on different headers, where can i get one without having to buy headers?

Old 08-08-2007, 02:14 PM
Tech Droid
Default RE: Y pipe??

The cat back is made to fit in the stock location behind the cat. The Y pipe is before the cat, so whatever cat back you have should have noinfluence on the Y pipe. The Y pipe is made to fit between the exhaust manifold or headers and the cat converter. You need a Y pipe to fit whatever type or brand of headers you are using, or to fit the stock exhaust manifolds. You should have no problems if you are using stock exhaust manifolds, but if you are using headers, you need a pipe to fit those particular headers, and the best source would be the people that made your headers.

Old 08-09-2007, 12:38 PM
1st Gear Member

did any camaro ever come through stock with a y pipe? my 1998 (ls1) has a y pipe but i dont think the previus owner put it on because all the rest of the exhaust is stock.

Old 08-09-2007, 04:25 PM
Tech Droid

They all have a Y pipe from the factory, also known as a crossover pipe, except for those that came with true dual exhaust. The Y is where the right & left hadpipes meet to form a single exaust. The factory Y pipe causes unneeded restrictions, that is why many people change them to better made ones

Old 08-11-2007, 12:06 PM
In the Staging Lanes

i have a 2001 ss camaro with an slp loudmouth catback and i was looking into getting a y-pipe, will it make that much of a differnce in hp? sound?Any reccomendations of brand would be good. I would go the slp y pipe but idk much about what y-pipe is better

Old 08-11-2007, 12:21 PM
Tech Droid

Most performance Y pipes are better than stock, the stock ones are of good material but joined poorly which result in a restriction where the two sides meet.try toget a stainless steel one so you won't have to worry about it rusting out.

Old 08-13-2007, 11:53 PM
4th Gear Member

why upgrade just a y-pipe?

shortie/mid headers come with a ypipe, knock out two birds w/ one stone...

Old 08-14-2007, 09:57 AM
2nd Gear member

i'd agree with rs. You can usually buy them together, and since you hassling up under there, the headers are right there.

Old 08-14-2007, 12:35 PM
1st Gear Member

but is it really worth it?? obviously its going to help or people wouldnt do it but to what extent?

Old 08-14-2007, 02:02 PM

I want to go with a y pipe for more sound ...i no the headers are alot louder andmake a difference performace wise,but i dont have the money and time to put them in. will a y pipe with my flowmaster exhaust get my exhaust sounding alot louder since its removing the cats?

Quick Reply: Y pipe??