Intake, Headers, and Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

WHY EVERY V6 WITH EXHAUST SOUND LIKE

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 08:52 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default WHY EVERY V6 WITH EXHAUST SOUND LIKE

poop... i been looking on youtube at all the videos with the v6 MAROS that have exhuast...they sound good..and then they rev it high, and sounds like dookie coming out the exhaust..is there any way i can get the sound quailty better..my 99 maro is still stock to the bone, but i wanna get exhuast set up...but if my v6 is gonna sound like that...iduno mayn...i want a real sound...and dont say get a v8..cuz i already know....IF U WANT IT TO SOUND LIKE A V8 GET THE V8....WELL, ANY REPLIES WILL HELP...peach

Old 05-27-2008, 09:25 PM
2nd Gear member
Default RE: WHY EVERY V6 WITH EXHAUST SOUND LIKE

because its a V6... it will sound similar to a japanese car... or any other V6 and most people who use exhausts for their V6 use a V8 exhaust... i heard Magnaflow sounds good. but the best bet with a V6 is to go for the German sound... thats pretty good sounding.

Old 05-27-2008, 09:25 PM
Tech Droid

The type of sound an engine makes is determined mainly by the number of cylinders and the firing order. The setup of the engine ( cam, compression, etc.), and exhaust system will alsoaffect the sound making it louder, deeper, or shriller, but the basic sound remains the same. A six will sound like a six, an eight will sound like an eight, and a Harley will make the po'tato' po'tato' noise because when the first cylinder fires, the second cylinder will fire 315° later, andthen there is a 405° gap until the first cylinder fires again.

Old 05-27-2008, 10:56 PM
Fancy Sparkle

http://youtube.com/watch?v=QNhl4KJP5...eature=related

this doesn't sound like crap

Old 05-27-2008, 10:56 PM
4' 11" 117 lbs of fury!

maganaflow like i have on my v6 sounds pretty good in my personal opinion however thats imo if you dont like v6 exaught then umm dont serch it on youtube

Old 05-27-2008, 11:17 PM
The Jazz Man
ROTM Winner's Club

If you put a large cam in your engine (and supporting mods) then a much better sound will be achieved, as well as more horsepower.

wow, that six sounds great in that vid RS. But it only sounds good at idle, when it revs a little, the light fades [&o]

Old 05-27-2008, 11:56 PM
3rd Gear Member

x2

It sounds great for a Sixxer!

Old 05-29-2008, 11:42 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Hate to say it but it's just the nature of the beast. 6ers have been trying to get that "V8" sound for years and, IMO, will never achieve it for the simple reason they have a V6. I belong to a ZR2 forum where many members are trying to get that sound out of the 4.3L V6 and none have found a magical combination yet.

No offence meant in the above but you won't be able to get the sound you are looking for. Like you said, some systems sound good at certain rpm's but not at others.

Old 05-30-2008, 10:22 AM

a larger cam is only going to change the firing order and create a more loping sound due to the now, unbalanced engine. i dont know about the v6 camaros, but in the v6 mustangs, they are even firing engines, which really cuts down on the "lope" that the engine has. not to say a cam wont help though. some of the mods that would definitely help would be a ported intake, upgraded heads, if they make longtube headers for those cars, removing the cats (i dont know if you guys have off-road midpipes or not), a bigger cam, and the displacement of the engine does make a difference. those 4.3 guys may not have their cars sounding like v8's, but they definitely have the upper hand over a 3.8.

Old 05-30-2008, 11:53 AM
3rd Gear Member

that 3.8 did sound good at idle, he didnt rev it for a reason, it will still sound like poop

Quick Reply: WHY EVERY V6 WITH EXHAUST SOUND LIKE