Intake, Headers, and Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Rattling Cat Converter????

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2007, 10:17 AM
Default Rattling Cat Converter????

I have a problem with my cat converter... at least that's what I would assume it is... although it's linked to the air conditioning system... everytime i turn on the air conditioner/heater the cat starts rattling and making loud noises, as soon as i turn it off, the rattling descipates... any ideas of what's going on? i'm thinking of actually getting a magnaflow cat soon... but just wondering for future reference and personal knowledge... although it is true that knowledge is the leading cause of human and world destruction....

Old 02-28-2007, 10:44 AM
4th Gear Member
Default RE: Rattling Cat Converter????

The heat shield on the cat is loose the cheap weld broke. You can repair it with extra long SS hose clamps or remove it no big deal

Old 02-28-2007, 04:31 PM

i had a problem like that on mine the cat has 2 honey combs in it and the one thats connected at the rear of the cat came loose on mine. so that may be the same thing with yours if it helps

Old 02-28-2007, 07:19 PM

It does guys, thank you, i'm getting under the car right now....

Old 03-06-2007, 11:55 PM
In the Staging Lanes

take the cat off and use a peice of pipe and knock the insides of it out, that will stop the rattle but you dont want to do that if you have to pass emissions

Old 03-07-2007, 03:57 AM

no... i don't have to pass emitions... i live in arizona... thing is... i heard taking off the cat was bad for the ecu if i had a co2 censor... thing is i haven't found it... n i don't want to do any dastric things that may mess up my baby... i don't have much time to work on it hence i work 12 hour shifts at nights n go to school....

Old 03-07-2007, 04:56 AM
2nd Gear member

ORIGINAL: 91RSADDISON

i had a problem like that on mine the cat has 2 honey combs in it and the one thats connected at the rear of the cat came loose on mine. so that may be the same thing with yours if it helps
I had this same issue on my car... I just pulled it off and gutted it out.

Arizona still requires emissions....
Depends on the county... You live in pinal county?

Old 03-07-2007, 11:10 AM
1st Gear Member

first off there o2 sensors not co2 sensors. Second it all depends on what year you have, you might not have the rear o2 sensors, which are the ones that fool with the cats. If its older then a 1996 you wont have a problem gutting the cats or removing them all together. If its 96 or newer all you have to do is get o2 sensor simulators. They make your computer think that your cats are working fine.

Old 03-07-2007, 09:08 PM

Mine's a 95... and I live in the Yuma County.. and we bought the car... there were no emission test requirements.... I heard they were soon to pass a law though... sometime within the next 5 years or so.... hopefully by then I'll have the new camaro though... n won't have to worry much about it...

Old 03-07-2007, 11:12 PM
2nd Gear member

I live in Mesa (about 30miles from PHX) I have to do Emissions. Its all good

Quick Reply: Rattling Cat Converter????