Intake, Headers, and Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Pain in the ***!

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2007, 08:10 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Pain in the ***!

I bought some headers:

at Car Craft for 200 bucks. I own an '86 Iroc Z 5.0 tpi and the headers matches up to the head. BUT, the problem is the collecter just barely touches the frame to the point where I can not line the very last bolt up. This has been a nightmare trying to put this ****er on and I am extremely determined because I can not get my money back - the header (where you can not see it) is scratched and they would not refund it like this. On top of that, this is only the passenger side, I am yet to even remove the stock manifold from the driver side and am almost afraid to do that because I might be digging a deeper grave. Any advice on how to get these stubborn *******s to fit?

Old 07-24-2007, 11:42 PM
2nd Gear member
Default RE: Pain in the ***!

How close is it to the frame???? are we talking like Millimeters? or an inch or more in the way??? cuz **** you can grind down the frame a tad and/or the flange if thats whats the problem.

Old 07-24-2007, 11:58 PM
Overdrive Member

I agree with '94Red, if it's not too much, chop a bit out of the frame. I'd advise you to not modify the flange because you don't want to risk warping it and then have exhaust leaks. Also, it would appear that the headers have a coating from your pictures, so you don't want to rub that off.

Old 07-25-2007, 02:53 PM
1st Gear Member

Well, I am going to look into it one more time, maybe post a pic of what I'm dealing with. If it is just too much modding to do, I am going to order some headers out of my Camaro Classic Industries magazine because the headers I bought are not name brand and are only, broadly listed for chevy small blocks. They do line up to the heads correctly but are not a direct fit for the car. I'll let ya guys know what happens. Thanks.

Old 07-25-2007, 05:04 PM
1st Gear Member

Well, for the update... I just ordered Hedman Headers # 68470. They are the shortys so I should not have much problem slapping these in. I'm bypassing my smod pump and AC so it should be nothing to install these with all the room under my hood. I spoke to the exhaust shop I get all my work done at, and they already have a 3 inch system +ypipe set up for me. I sold the headers posted above to my bro for 100 bucks, he is going to try and stuff them in his 86 tpi trans am.

Old 07-26-2007, 12:37 AM
Overdrive Member

Any SBC header will line up, the all have the same port configuration.

Old 07-26-2007, 01:29 AM
2nd Gear member

Good Luck man!! keep uis updated

Old 07-26-2007, 03:45 PM
1st Gear Member

Well in the latest update of my journey finding some headers... The ones I ordered from classic industries (hedmen shortys), they are on back order so I need to find some other place to buy them. Anyone know any name brand, quick delivery websites?

Old 07-26-2007, 04:27 PM
1st Gear Member

Sweet. I just bought these:

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...4925022+400143+

I ordered the overnight air shipping. Can't wait.

Old 07-27-2007, 07:21 PM
1st Gear Member

Thank god, I got these bad boys overnight air shipping for 40 bucks at summitracing.com

They also gave me a sweet summit racing tshirt, stickers, a hat, and a thick catalog. Nice. Anyways, these life saving headers bolted on like cake. Time to bring the car back to life now.

Quick Reply: Pain in the ***!