Intake, Headers, and Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Headers/ exhaust question

Old 04-30-2006, 04:45 PM
Default Headers/ exhaust question

Hi i'm new to the forum and was wondering about what type of headers i should get for my 94 z28. It's all stock so far. I have a budget of about 500 $. I want a decent mix between performance and sound quality. What else do i need to do after i install the headers? I'm not concerned about cats mufflers arent even necassary what about a Y pipe ? is it possible to just run steel pipe straight back off of the headers? Will i lose torque if i do it this way ? All advice is appreciated and if you list items that would be required a reason would be appreciated. Thanks

Old 04-30-2006, 06:28 PM
3rd Gear Member
Default RE: Headers/ exhaust question

I Like Your Style Jake. Your Gonna Get alot Of Different Opinions So Here's Mine. Since Cats And Mufflers Aren't An Issue ... Your Only Real Concern Will Be Back Pressure. You Want Just Enough So Your Valves Will Function Properly. You Can Do One Of Two Things. Use These Headers ( Shortys Are Cheaper ) http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/94-97...QQcmdZViewItem 3" To The Y Then Through ( My Choice Would Be A Glass Pack ) Then Back To 3" Duals Out The Back. Very Little Modification Would Be Needed And The Y Would Give You Plenty Of Back Pressure. Or You Could Drop To 2 1/2 With Glass Packs And Straight Out The Back. The Drop To 2 1/2 Will Give Ya Enough Back Pressure. The Only Draw Back Is Piping Straight Out The Back Is Gonna Take Some Modification And Will Probably Cost You Anywhere From $500 To $1000 For Someone To Fabricate The Exhaust. Which Is Illegal For Street On Your Model Vehicle. You Will Have To Find Someone That Will Take Your Word That It's A Race Car Or If You Know Of Someone That Fabricates Pipe. It Is Against The Law To Not Put A Cat On A Vehicle Originally Equipped For A Cat Unless It Is Used Strictly For Racing. If You Go With The Y ... You Can Have A Cat Installed There Then Gut It Or Remove It Later. It Is Gonna Be Cheaper To Go With The Y. Any Muffler Shop Can Run The Y Exhaust With A Cat. Another Consideration Will Be Your Computer. I'm Not Sure How It Will React Without Being Hooked To The Oxygen Sensor. I'm Not Big On Computers So I'll Leave That For Someone Else To Help Ya With. Sick