General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

would it be possible

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2006, 10:49 PM
2nd Gear member
Default would it be possible

Does anyone have the time to write up a step by step, uninstallation and reinstallation of the entire steering column off of a 1992 Z28 with VATS, tilt, etc.......
thank you very much, if you do, this is much appreciated

Old 12-02-2006, 11:43 PM
Overdrive Member
Default RE: would it be possible

The whole column as a unit? It would be just like the same as any other column. The VATS is just a couple extra wires.

Disconect the battery
Remove the covers under the column. The pastic part with the fuse cover and the pad under the column. There is Two plugs fillung holes on the pad. Pop them out and there will be torx screws there.
From under the hood there will be a "bell" shaped part with a bolt with nut going through the shaft close to the firewall. Remove the nut and bolt and tap downwards with a hammer to slide the bell from the column. The shaft that connects the bell to the column will compress.
Back inside the car
from behind the carpet and insulation reomve the bolts that hold the plate at the bottom of the column to the firewall. There is usualy four.
Remove the two nuts that are up looking towards the top of the brake pedal assembly. The column will come down. Then unplug all the wires, Multi funtion (turn signal) switch, cruise control (if applicable), washer/wiper connector, high beam swith, ignition switch, airbag...
them pull the column out. It makes it easier to drop the column before disconecting wires unless you have small hands or like to get cuts.
There is also the shifter interlock cable that hooks to the ignition switch. I do not remember how to remove that but it is self expanitory. I had taken it off mine when installing the B&M shifter.
If you remove the ignition and/or the high beam switches they need to be adjusted when reinstalled.
Hope this helps.