General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

why? why? why?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2006, 11:41 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default why? why? why?

why would i have no oil pressure if i just rebuilt my 327. machined crank with matching bearings, new cam, lifters, gaskets, oil pump, and hardened oil shaft. i put it all together and still have no oil pressure. i rebuilt the motor due to the fact that my oil pressure suddenly dropped with no warrning. if anyone has any ideas i would be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance, rob

Old 07-29-2006, 02:23 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: why? why? why?

How are you checking for oil pressure? by turning over the motor with the starter or with an oil pump primer? I would not turn the motor over with the starter with no oil pressure.
make sure the oil passage that the guage is taped into is not pluged. I would remove the valve cover off if its on and use an oil pump primer with a drill and run it till I see oil coming through the pushrod to the rocker arms
if oil is not there after a few mins, it takes a bit for the oil to get there, then you need to check and make sure the pick up screen is not pluged or to close to the bottom of the oil pan, if thats ok then check to make sure the front oil galley plugs are there, there the 3 little plugs just above the cam in case you didnt know,
are you sure the pump drive rod didnt come off the pump, as the hardened shaft doesnt clip on the pump like the plastic clip does and if you had it on a stand and rotated it it could come off . I use a little silicone to hold it in place
let us know what happens

Old 07-29-2006, 03:24 AM
Overdrive Member

Did you happen to check your bypass valve?

Old 07-29-2006, 08:54 PM
In the Staging Lanes

i tried primin it thru the distributer but the oil does not come up to the lifters. the motor was all rebuilt and put into the car and started. i then immediately noticed no oil pressure when it was running.oil was comin up thru the lifters but not with much force. the motor sounded good- no knocking. i then shut it down, took the motor out and tore it down again. nothing is visualy wrong. whe u say the bypass valve are u refering to the oil filter housing, or somethin else? i found some shavings in the oil pan when i took the motor back out, so i probably have to change a bearing. not sure yet tho, because i didnt tear the crank out yet.

Old 07-30-2006, 03:57 AM
Overdrive Member

Oil bypass in that plug in the block near the filter. To weak a spring may give little to no pressure. Did you replace cam bearings? If they were bad could have pluged up. Try to prime with the filter off until you see oil spew. It will make the oil folw easier to get it pumped up.

Old 07-30-2006, 06:58 PM
1st Gear Member

the by-pass in the filter adaptor will just make the oil by-pass the filter when it gets pluged. there is a pressure by-pass in the pump to regulate the pressure make sure the spring is there and that its not stuck open
are you using oil restrictors in the back of the block?
when you say 327 you are talking about a first gen block?