General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

What preventative work should I do Now???

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2006, 06:34 PM
Default What preventative work should I do Now???

I've had my 97 ss for about a week or so. I took the car into a local chevy dealer for an oil change and inspection. I've been told the car seems fine! The SES light was on but went off today. I feel some vibrations coming through the steering wheel but I'm pretty sure they are coming from a bent front wheel. I also hear some noise from the rear above 30 mph, but I'm not sure if its the torsen or the tires.

A few dealers don't seem to have the necessary parts for the car, and my GM parts guy at my store ordered me the wrong oil and airfilter. I'm in need of assistance to help get this car in good driving condition. It has 193k on the odo. What fluids/parts/work should I order up RIGHT away and have done to ensure more miles and smiles??? TIA

Old 09-08-2006, 03:22 PM
Tech Droid
Default RE: What preventative work should I do Now???

You should get the front end checked at a front end shop. At 193K it should be in need of maintenance. The vibration you mentioned coul be due to a bent wheel, but could also be caused by many other things, such ad worn ball joints and tie rod ends, worn shocks, out of balance tires,bad tires, etc.. Also, the vibration could cause other damage resulting in safety issues.

As for the oil filter, this is a common item used in many differnt Chevy V8's and should be available at most part stores. Go for the premium types, the price difference is not that much. The air filter is probaly a dealer item as it is unique to the SS models. The FSM recommends 2W30 oil for this car, but due to the mileage, IMO you will be better off using something heavier like 10W40 in cold weather and 20W40 in hot weather. Also don't forget to change the coolant if it hasn't been done recently. I am not too fond of the idea of keeping the same coolant for 100K miles.