General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Tires...

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2007, 11:34 AM
4th Gear Member
Default RE: Tires...

ORIGINAL: Puck90a

Haha, I've already had one friend tell me not to get Goodyears. He said they're good tires, but there's noreason to pay so much. I'm not even going to try to drive it when it's wet (like today).

Are Kumho's any good? Any other suggestions?
Go to www.tirerack.com you can compare all brands of tires for your and also get a good idea of prices, I have bougth two different sets from them over the years and it is cheaper.

Old 01-12-2007, 04:48 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Kumho Ecstasare defenitely good tires, but a tire that most people dont even look at is Hankook.. Those are excellent tires and theyre relatively cheap. If you want something that is rediculously sticky, you can go with a Falken Azena.. I have had two sets of them and loved them. You have to go slightly slower in the rain with them, but theyre not scary or anything, and if you get on dry pavement, good luck getting the *** end out..

Old 01-12-2007, 04:49 PM
In the Staging Lanes

And no, Im not a tire salesman, I just do autocross and in that sport, tires are everything.

Old 01-12-2007, 06:29 PM
Overdrive Member

There are date codes on the tires. You can have a tire shop look for them and tell you how old they are. Old tires are bad. I bought new take offs from a 94 S10 tires and wheels. Well I finnally got around to putting them on my mom's truck (I am laaaaazy!) They still have 13 year old tires on them with 0 miles. There is no way I am letting my mom drive on them. The tires get old and hard and that is why you loose traction. I have noticed this on motorcycles as well.
The best tires I ever had for my Camaro where the kumho ultra high prformance summer tire. These worked great in the winters here in California. I had Good year RSA and they were good. The worse are the dunlop a2 sport high performance summerI have now. I took a corner kinda fast but slower than I have before and the dunlops lost traction with ease. Not even a squeal that I was pushing too hard.
Check out tire rack and read the customer reviews.

Old 01-12-2007, 09:00 PM
Dominos Puck
New Formula! Now with 10% more Win!

I was talking to some tire nuts today at work. There's a big tire warehouse here in shreveport LA where I live. You can check out what they have online, call, tell them to check on them and get them ready for you to pick up and take somewhere to have them put on. I think I want Kumho ECSTA ASX tires. Do you think I could fit 4 245/50-16 tires in my camaro, with the seat laid back?

Old 01-12-2007, 09:35 PM
Tech Droid

The Good Year RSA are verey good all weather tires, but very expensive. Those are the tires that came on Camaro police cars.

Old 01-12-2007, 10:24 PM
1st Gear Member

good years suck they're a hard compound rubber and suck in the wet had them on my monte and never bought them again

best tires i have found are the nokians i'm runnin now best all weather tire by far

Old 01-12-2007, 10:51 PM
Dominos Puck
New Formula! Now with 10% more Win!

Think I can fit 4 tires inside my camaro? My mom thinks I can't. I think I might be able to... I fit a huge 32" CRT TV (in a BIG cardboard box) in my Lumina. My brother also fit his entire drumset in my Lumina. He also fit a 5 piece drum set in his early 90s corolla (small car). A friend at work has a Focus ST170, and it is AMAZING what he's been able to fit in that thing. Tires might not fit in my camaro, but I've been amazed in the past at how much you can really fit in a car.

Old 01-12-2007, 11:08 PM
1st Gear Member

don't think so 3 maybe

Old 01-12-2007, 11:32 PM
4th Gear Member

Four tires will fit in the rear of a Camaro. Been there and done it with four tines in back 245/50/16.

Quick Reply: Tires...