General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Tires...

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2007, 09:00 PM
Dominos Puck
New Formula! Now with 10% more Win!
Default Tires...

I just bought a 1995 camaro that has 25000 miles. I'm not sure if they're the original tires or not, but since it has only 25000 miles I'm thinking it's possible that they've been on there for several years without being replaced (because they haven't been used and worn out). Even though the tread looks fine, I'm afraid that they might be a little too old (12 years old). Here's my question - Do I need to worry about the age of tire, or only the wear? Most other kinds of rubber seem to harden over time - perhaps tire rubber can too. The reason I'm concerned is because it seems like the car loses traction fairly easy. I know rear-wheel positraction muscle cars have more ability to lose traction than some, but it still seems like it's easier to do than normal. I drove another Z28 before mine and I don't think I was sliding around as much with it. Could I just be imagining this?

Old 01-11-2007, 09:20 PM
2nd Gear member
Default RE: Tires...

Maybe you're just has more power

I'd check it out..
As long as the tires look good and arn't cracking and the tread is still good I wouldnt worry too much about it.

Old 01-11-2007, 09:37 PM
Dominos Puck

About having more horsepower - actually, the first Z28 I drove seemed like it had more neck-jerking power because it didn't lose traction as easily. I feel like YoGeeBear in mine (you know how whenhe started running is feet wouldpeel out for a few seconds beforehe started going? Hey BooBoo!)

Old 01-11-2007, 09:38 PM
2nd Gear member

LMAO I hear ya. lol.

Old 01-11-2007, 09:47 PM
Tech Droid

The Z28 cars were fitted with Good Year "Z" rated either GSC or RSA, 245/50/16. The GSC was a summer type tire and the RSA was an all season tireNeither one would last much more than 25,000 miles of normal driving. So if you have any other type of tires, they had to be changed.

Old 01-12-2007, 12:13 AM
Dominos Puck

What is on there now is Goodyear Eagle ZR16 - 245/50-16. I don't see the GSC or RSA stuff written anywhere (didn't look real hard though).

Old 01-12-2007, 12:28 AM
1st Gear Member

25,000 miles you say? The tires probably haven't been changed unless they previous owner put new rims on. Most people are happy with stock tires because they are performance tires. Now the tires shouldn't be spinning terribly unless... A) You're on slick pavement B) You're giving it way too much gas, or C) They just are worn out worse than you think they look. I would recommend getting new tires on it. It can't hurt it any.

Otherwise, lay off on the gas . YoGee Bear usually peeled away because he tried to take off too fast.

Old 01-12-2007, 12:43 AM
Dominos Puck

I haven't been on slick pavement any. I haven't had it very long and haven't had to drive in the rain yet. It's supposed to rain tomorrow, and I'm starting to wonder if it would be a bad idea to drive it tomorrow. It has stock rims (which I really like by the way! I can't believe some of the crap rims people put on their camaros).

Giving it too much gas? Maybe... Although, I'm not punching it. There have been times I've gradually, but fairly quickly, given it throttle and have kept traction in 1st, but when it pops into 2nd (AT) it likes to get a little too squirrelly on me (I had somewhat of an iffy situation withthat one day). If I do floor it from a stop, I'm Yogi bear for about 30-35 feet.

Old 01-12-2007, 10:00 AM
4th Gear Member

25000 miles on Goodyear tires......Just be careful in the wet. Time for new tires and don't buy Goodyears. My opinion.

Old 01-12-2007, 11:01 AM
Dominos Puck

Haha, I've already had one friend tell me not to get Goodyears. He said they're good tires, but there's noreason to pay so much. I'm not even going to try to drive it when it's wet (like today).

Are Kumho's any good? Any other suggestions?

Quick Reply: Tires...