General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Thats a pisser..

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2009, 08:32 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Thats a pisser..

I finally got to take the camaro out for an all day ride yesterday because the weather was 85 degrees for a change. Anyways. after 2 tanks of fuel, I was on my way home when all of the sudden a crap load of steam started to pour out of the hood scoop and started to over heat rally bad, like over 220-230. I was so close to home so I drove it there as quick as possible. When I got there, I took the hood off and for some reason, the fan belt had come off and the overflow hose blew off the jug. I probably shouldnt have done this but I did it anyways. I turned the hose on and sprayed the motor down with cold water. The intake was so hot that it was boiling the water right off. I took the radiator cap off and it was pretty close to empty so I filled that and sprayed the radiator and trans cooler as well. Doeas anybody think that there was any dammage done and have any idea what would have caused this problem. The belt was tight when I checked everything so not sure why it came loose. Any info would be great at this point.

Old 04-27-2009, 04:45 PM
Overdrive Member

its not really a good idea to spray water on a hot engine.You can crack an exhaust or intake manifold that way.

Old 04-28-2009, 04:41 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Seems like everything is all good. I know I shouldnt have done that with the water but I seems like it didnt hurt anything. I put the belt back on, filled it with water and turned her over. No strange noises or leaks anywheres. I took it for a test drive it it sounded normal and the temp was running where it should be. (185). I guess I wont make that mistake again. Thanks

Old 05-20-2009, 11:17 PM
3rd Gear Member

the reason your belt probably flipped, is that the previous owner probably did the same thing, and once a belt flips it is junk...GET A NEW ONE! if not it will keep flipping.

you do need to find out why it actually flipped though. are all the pulleys lined up correctly? are they not deep-groove pulleys? if they aren't, then I would have someone that knows a bit about these cars give the car a good once over, because if someone "properly" builds a race engine, that is one of the most basic things that is done, to keep belts on at higher RPMs while racing, but if someone is just building a car to unload it for a quick buck, there will be lots of little problems like this and it is better to catch them now before they happen

Old 05-21-2009, 12:08 AM
Y2K
4th Gear Member

If you do get hot like that again don't spray water directly on the engine.
The fastest way to cool it down is to hose down the radiator till it's cooled off enough to carefully get the cap off (be damn careful!) and even if she's still belching hot fluid out start the engine and fill the radiator as fast as possible.
Keep hosing down the radiator fins while you are doing it and she'll cool down pretty fast once she has enough water in there for it to start pumping through the motor.
Be sure to get some anti freeze back in there after you get it back to normal.