General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Still having issues.

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2007, 02:51 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Still having issues.

I posted eariler about replaceing the idler pulley on my 98 camaro 3.8L V6. Well I went out bought the part and replaced it. All is well except the tensioner seems to be a bit loose and bounces around a bit. I cant find anything to tighten this up. Any ideas? Also the squeak is STILL there. It seems that it is coming from the water pump but it is loud and high pitched and very hard to tell exactly where. I dont have a problem going right out and picking one up and putting it on. I just don't want to have replaced half the motor by the end of the day...:P Its very odd because when I accellerate it changes it pitch a bit higher and squeaks fast but when I let off the gas it just makes the same noise as is I was sitting at idle. Please help me!!!

Old 01-04-2007, 04:01 PM
Tech Droid
Default RE: Still having issues.

Sounds like a case of bad water pump or bad alternator. Since you are having problems isolating the noise, my suggestion is to spend $20 and get an engine sthetoscope and probe around till you locate the source of the noise.

Old 01-04-2007, 04:11 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Thanks Pete! I really appreciate you replying so fast. I got it up on ramps now to see if I can hear it any better from underneath. I used a rubber hose to do the sthetoscope checking. Put it on the pump itself and heard very little activity. I know for sure its not the alternator because the noise is coming from below and off center. You have been a big help and I appreciate you guys having this forum. It has helped me ALOT!

Old 01-04-2007, 07:46 PM
Tech Droid

May want to check the power steering pump also. Something must have locked up,as serpentine belts do not break easily.

Old 01-04-2007, 10:08 PM
Overdrive Member

The tensioner will bounce a bit. Check the alternatoir for the squeak. When it makes the noise turn on stuff like the head lights A/C blower on high. Put a load on t and see if the noise gets worse. I missed a thread about the belt breaking but maybe your A/C compressor is going bad. I have seen them lock and kill a runnning motor.

Old 01-04-2007, 11:55 PM
March 2011 ROTM
Technical User
ROTM Winner's Club

my a/c compresser makes a click and whine when its cold, even though it is non functioning. where are you probing at to listen to the parts? could just be a bearing that needs some oil

Old 01-05-2007, 07:54 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Well I have replaced the water pump, and the Alternator. That got rid of the check engine light. Which I am thankful for. Pretty much I have probed everything. The A/C (working hard no unusual noise). No noise on the Power steering pump or the crank shaft. I'm exausted. Been working on it straight for two days now. The noise seems to be coming from the A/C. I put WD40 on all the flywheels very carefully as an act of desperation. Nothing. This might be a dumb question but would the A/C still make noise if it was off. The belt still has to spin the flywheel. And it makes no difference weither it is on or off.

Old 01-06-2007, 04:29 PM
Tech Droid

Some AC compressor clutches tend to make noise when they are worn out. The pulley side of the clutch always spins regardless of the AC setting.

Old 01-08-2007, 06:13 PM
In the Staging Lanes

On my old Jeep when the compressor went bad, it would intermittenly make a sound like a train horn.. It would do it wether it the AC was on or off. Also, Ive seen some compressors make noise like that if theyre overcharged. I know this is a stupid question to ask in January but have you had your AC charged lately? Other than that Ive got no ideas for you..

Old 01-12-2007, 04:27 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Well I had to put it in the shop this morning to get the breaks and rotors replaced. So that tookchunk of change out of what I had to work with. I cant seem to find a belt that will let me bypass the a/c compressor. A buddy of mine seems to think that its just the pulley making the noise. Which would be fine. But I dont have a pulley puller. It's amazing how an annoying squeak can work on your bank account. But its getting worse by the day. I like to take good care of my vehicle but im running out of cash...lol The A/C compressor seems like it wouldnt be to difficult to change out. However I have never done it before and I might be just looking on the bright side of things. When you replace it do you have to recharge your system? And to answer your question taco I havent had it charged lately. So I really honestly couldnt tell you. But it's nice and cold. This is more of a high pitched loud squeak then what you would describe as a train horn. I was going to get the shop to take a look at it today but they wanted 45 bucks just to stair at it before even attempting any work on it so I backed out of that one. I have been stairing at the thing for two weeks now! lol. The car runs so well. It is really a shame to have a minor problem cost so much. Kinda difficult for a full time college student.