General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Specialty Camaro Manufacturers

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2008, 11:22 PM
Ninja Administrator
Default RE: Specialty Camaro Manufacturers

fbodies have a tendency to feel heavy in the steering..... my TA im sure will cut corners just fine with the current suspension setup, but it doesnt feel like it. i think the heavy steering was intended to give the driver a better feel of the road, but in reality it just makes you feel like youre hanging on for dear life

Old 12-07-2008, 11:27 PM

I am sure with a little mods to the underside, you could get an Fbody on pace with any car, be it Mustang or otherwise, short of some of the supercars. But such is the way with anything. But as far as off the lot, I think you've hit the nail on the head. My SS felt good, but not overly gripping.

Old 12-07-2008, 11:37 PM
Ninja Administrator

well thats waht im saying. I have 12 way adjustable QA1 coil overs and shocks with race springs, lowered about as far as I can go and currently set fairly stiff up front. body roll is almost non-existant, and my tires arent bad at all. id have to hit a skid pad to see where i actually stack up, but the car just doesnt feel strong in the corners, even though i bet it actually is.

another way of saying it is i would bet your car is often much closer to its limit than it feels to be, where the fbody still has some ways to go before it hits its actual limit from where it begins to feel sketchy. however im sure the saleen limit is well above the fbody but as far as feeling goes to each cars relative limit.....

this is probably due to all the fancy electronics you mustang guys get that we dont. my old mustang felt pretty good too, but it didnt have anything done to its suspension and im sure my TA would have waxed it in the curves with someone willing to push it.

Old 12-07-2008, 11:47 PM

I see what you mean. Lots of good points there. I bet your car handles well above that of when it was stock.

Old 12-08-2008, 05:58 AM
HELP ME TOM CRUISE
Yaaarrrrrr

Nice discussion guys. I actually never thought of it this way. I always thought (and this is NOT a way to start any trouble) that Ford new they had contention so they hired these guys, like Shelby to make thier cars better to compete with the Camaro, as if they knew they been beat.

There have been more Camaro 'costomizers' than just SLP and Yenko. Yenko was a dealer/racer and had the cars shipped to his dealership. There, the cars were modified and sold. Others would have GM ship the new cars to thier shop - Speed shops, (**** Harrell) and they would modify them, usually in low numbers 10 - 20 and then sell them. So, there are guys who have done them, just not as many as the mustangs.

Old 12-08-2008, 07:42 PM
Overdrive Member

try driving a corvette, those have some nice handling!

Old 12-08-2008, 07:49 PM
Ninja Administrator

ive only driven 1 c5..... but it was when i was a vallet so i didnt get to do much. i did a burnout in the parking lot tho

Old 12-08-2008, 08:48 PM
2nd Gear member

ORIGINAL: SpecterGT260

ive only driven 1 c5..... but it was when i was a vallet so i didnt get to do much. i did a burnout in the parking lot tho
Spec, you're my new hero. That's awesome.

Old 12-08-2008, 09:00 PM
Overdrive Member

ORIGINAL: SpecterGT260

and thats one reason i dont go to valet parking

Old 12-08-2008, 09:02 PM
Ninja Administrator

dude.... totally not the coolest thing that happened (or craziest) while i had that job. one of the better stories was being handed the keys to a mercedes sl500 hardtop vert at the end of an NAACP convention at the hotel i worked at. now, im not racist at all.... but tips were unusually low that night [>:], so I figured hell, if im not making any money I may as well have some fun. I took a couple laps around our under-ground lot kicking the rear out a little as I went.

then turned the car in, an sl500 mind you, for a 5 dollar tip.... biggest tip of the night . I was told as I returned to the desk that the couple that i had just valletted for was Oprah's parents. [sm=insomnia.gif]
yes, i drifted oprahs parents mercedes sl500. oh, and the top was up when they gave it to us, I put it down before I brought it back [8D]

Quick Reply: Specialty Camaro Manufacturers