Camaro Forums - Chevy Camaro Enthusiast Forum

Camaro Forums - Chevy Camaro Enthusiast Forum (https://camaroforums.com/forum/)
-   General Tech (https://camaroforums.com/forum/general-tech-5/)
-   -   Rotary Engines (https://camaroforums.com/forum/general-tech-5/rotary-engines-62246/)

SloBalt 06-01-2011 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by BasicConcepts (Post 540911)
all i really know is that there expensive to work on... but a good running rx7 makes tons of power with few moving parts.. is it a turbo???

They make all HP, torqueless wonders.... :rolleyes:

Originally Posted by Corse (Post 540919)
They are super fun cars. What will you guys be doing with it? They make fantastic autocross cars. Especially with the weight distribution, tons of fun, very forgiving cars handling wise and those engines will rev to the moon and back.

Agreed with basic concepts, they can be spendy to work on, especially if you get a pile. It always seems like the previous owners have driven the absolute piss out of the car and a bunch of crap always needs fixed.

If you can get a really good example that doesn't need a lot it'd be a lot more fun for you.

Check out rx7club - they have a good forum and a lot of info and tech tutorials, a buyers guide (if i recall) and all the basics of rotary engines you could ever know. I wanted a 3rd gen for a long long time and spent a lot of time on their forum, nice people.

The only reason they are expensive is because there are only few people that can work on a Rotary and most dont really want to because there is far more work involved to a traditional piston engine.

Originally Posted by BasicConcepts (Post 540933)
if im not mistaken they rev to 13k maybe 14 my boss is obsessed with them he knows EVERYTHING if you do end up getting the car you can pm me questions and i can ask him... hes what they call a rotor head

Stock rotary TurboII rev to 9k. If you build them up, anything is possible with the right money.

Originally Posted by BasicConcepts (Post 540971)
just checked with my boss all stock rx7s have 2 rotors but theres a Japanese rx7 that has 4 rotors that revs to 20k at 850whp

That is a sick engine if it has 4 rotors because the Cosmo which is in the F1 car they have is 3 rotor.

BasicConcepts 06-01-2011 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by SprSSBalt (Post 541302)
That is a sick engine if it has 4 rotors because the Cosmo which is in the F1 car they have is 3 rotor.

ya my boss said that they were a special edition only Japanese version and they only made around 100 of them he also told me they were base prices at $100k in 88

Corse 06-04-2011 02:17 AM

Originally Posted by SprSSBalt (Post 541302)
They make all HP, torqueless wonders.... :rolleyes:
The only reason they are expensive is because there are only few people that can work on a Rotary and most dont really want to because there is far more work involved to a traditional piston engine.

WHAT? They don't have pistons!? HOW DOES THAT WORK!????

Kidding :P

murderedout beauty 06-04-2011 11:30 PM

I had an 83 Z28 with a mild built 350/350 combo nothing really special and a friend of mine had an 88 typeII (turbo) five speed. I would spank his *** to about fifty then his turbo would spool up in third gear and I was chasin tail lights. Fun times.

Camaro 69 06-05-2011 02:12 AM

I had an 88 Turbo II with a five speed as well. Your friend must not be very good at speed shifting, to have gotten spanked.

murderedout beauty 06-05-2011 11:56 PM

Well I was talking about the first fifty or sixty feet then the turbo spooled up and he spanked my *** from there out! I had him on the launch upto his top of second start of third gear. My 83 was no slouch but it was a no demon either.

Camaro 69 06-06-2011 12:06 AM

lol. When you said "to about fifty", I read it as fifty mph.

murderedout beauty 06-06-2011 12:13 AM

Yea I was thinking feet but it did read mph my bad. Those cars are bad *** tho.