General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Rear End Gear Question??

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2008, 12:56 PM
Default Rear End Gear Question??

I have a 95 Z28 with a 6 speed transmission and I'm putting 4.10 gears in and don't have a owners manual for the car, but I need to know if the rear end is standard or traction lock or limited slip differential Thanks!

Old 04-11-2008, 01:31 PM
2nd Gear member
Default RE: Rear End Gear Question??

[8D] your rpo codes ( in the glove box) will tell you what you have ( decoded). you could also pop the cover off and take a look. the standard diff you can see through( two sides of the carrier are open) the trac loc should have a small set of fly weights on the open side and the posi will have only one open side and nothing but spider gears also are you sure you want 410's that will be great stop light to stop light but will suck for mileage and freeway speed rpm level. kurt

Old 04-11-2008, 01:34 PM
2nd Gear member

[&:] another thought if your going for the 410's for drag racing you really should get a posi unit if your car doesnt already have one. the lower gears help but not if you cant get it to the ground. AVOID TRAC LOC (GOV LOC) they grenade

Old 04-12-2008, 11:47 AM

ORIGINAL: t9ojetpilot

[8D] your rpo codes ( in the glove box) will tell you what you have ( decoded). you could also pop the cover off and take a look. the standard diff you can see through( two sides of the carrier are open) the trac loc should have a small set of fly weights on the open side and the posi will have only one open side and nothing but spider gears also are you sure you want 410's that will be great stop light to stop light but will suck for mileage and freeway speed rpm level. kurt

Ok what rpo code do I look for???

Old 04-12-2008, 12:01 PM

Ok I looked around and found that code GU5 is Rear Axle Performanceso I looked for that code in the box and found I have GU6 does anyone have the code for that??

Old 04-12-2008, 12:30 PM

Ok I did my research and found code GU6--3.42 gear ratio and I found a code that I have G80--LIMITED SLIP (POSITRACTION) SWEET 4.10 gears here we go......Hey THANKS t9ojetpilot

Old 04-12-2008, 01:21 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

You are having someone install them for you? Normally I encorage people to do things themselfs by setting up rears is not one of them. Get quotes to install them. They will not be cheap. The life of the rear is directly related to the skill of the person installing them.

Old 04-12-2008, 05:27 PM
4th Gear Member

Also don't buy richmond gears unless you like a whine. They are strictly a racing gear and they will add to the noise of the 4:10s.

Old 04-12-2008, 10:50 PM
2nd Gear member

[&:] drop top may not be as simple as gears you will probably need a new 4 series carrier as well. the offset in the carrier for different gear ratios usually referred to as 2,3,4 series. i believe 373 is the best you can do with the current carrier which isnt a huge gain but you seem intent on your 410's so be aware it may not be as simple as gears only. i also ditto gorn and blackz do not attempt this yourself!! find a reputable shop that is experienced with rearend setup, i also have not been pleased with richmonds gears on both noise and wear or longevity kurt

Old 04-14-2008, 11:29 AM

ORIGINAL: t9ojetpilot

[&:] drop top may not be as simple as gears you will probably need a new 4 series carrier as well. the offset in the carrier for different gear ratios usually referred to as 2,3,4 series. i believe 373 is the best you can do with the current carrier which isnt a huge gain but you seem intent on your 410's so be aware it may not be as simple as gears only. i also ditto gorn and blackz do not attempt this yourself!! find a reputable shop that is experienced with rearend setup, i also have not been pleased with richmonds gears on both noise and wear or longevity kurt
My buddy is a mechanic he is helping me put it in! He don't know much about camaro's but he has done rear ends before. He also said if I have a 3 series carrier I could get by with that. How do I find that out?? Also do you know if I have a 7.5" or a 8.2" or 8.5" 10 bolt differential cover I'm ordering the kit of jegs but I don't know which one to order? Also my gears are made by American Axle (AAM) they came out of 94 4-speed auto lol

Quick Reply: Rear End Gear Question??