General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

A Pain In My Rearend

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2006, 11:48 PM
3rd Gear Member
Default A Pain In My Rearend

installed a mini spool in my 85 yesterday. after assembly i noticed there was a quite a bit of slack in the spool. the two axle pieces have 1/8 to a 1/4 inch play from left to right. the two locker pieces still have enough metal to grab but, like i said it has some play. is this normal? i pulled the carrier out of another 85 camaro and measured the inside from where the two axles come through it. there was a 1/4 inch difference. could it be that my carrier has wore down that much? anyways i took the shims that are used to seperate the axle gear or spool from the inside of the carrier and added them to the shims on the 85 and it took up another 1/16 of an inch but it still has alot of play. anyone have any ideas? thanks. sick

Old 06-24-2006, 04:40 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default RE: A Pain In My Rearend

if I understand what you're talking, I don't think it has much to do with the carrier. did you install a new pinion shaft when you put the mini spool in? that's the 3/4" pin that goes through the assy and between the axles to keep the C-clips recessed into the housing. if not, you should have. if that's not what you're talking about, hit me back so we can get on the same page. you may have to replace your axles, too (condition pending). running a spool, I would keep an extra pair on hand anyway. you will have a LITTLE side to side play in the axles even on a brand new factory rear end, that is normal, but I would give a thought to anything over 1/16th, be slightly concerned about anything over 1/8th, and would be a basket case about anything over a 1/4.

Old 06-24-2006, 05:22 PM
3rd Gear Member

i didn't replace the pinion ... used the old one. the slack is in the two pieces that replace the axle gears . if you push the axle against the pinion ... the axle gear or large spider gear replacement ( whichever you call it ) has an 1/8 to 3/16 inch slide from left to right. this is causing slack in the two pieces that replace the smaller spider gears. when i take the slack out by turning the tire then rotate it the other way it turns almost a 1/4 of a turn before the slack is removed and both wheels turn the other way. when i noticed the slack i took the carrier out of another camaro that i have ( same year ) and measured the inside of the carrier from axle hole to axle hole there was a 1/4 inch diff. there was a protruding lip on the left side axle hole that was missing or worn away from the other. not sure if it was made that way or what but, seems that the same year carrier would be identical doesn't it? nevertheless i used the two large spider gear spacers out of the extra carrier and added them to the other to take out some of the slack. it removed some but not all. i taking it to the drag strip in a few ... guess if it flys to pieces i'll have my answer lol. hit me back. sick

Old 06-24-2006, 11:19 PM
In the Staging Lanes

not talking about the pinion gear, the pinion shaft. don't know what to tell you. I've never run a mini spool. do you still have slack/slop with the open diff installed? if not, just weld the spider gears together and call it a day! will the mini spool fit properly in the other carrier? sounds like you might be in the market for a new carrier alltogether, anyway. time for a Detroit Locker or full spool!