General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

oil pan

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2006, 06:58 PM
2nd Gear member
Default oil pan

Last week I had my oil changed, the mechanic told me that the plug was bad and I should probably either replace the whole pan or atleast have it rethreaded. Anyone know about the price difference between the two and if a it would be better to just get a new one than fix the old?

Old 01-26-2006, 07:54 PM
Default RE: oil pan

is it leaking? if not dont worry until next time you change the oil. rethreading is a do it yourself job. just go to an automotive store buy you a "tap" of the same size and when you unscrew the drain plug and all oil is out just screw the "tap' into the whole and out again then pour in a fresh quart of oil let it run out inspect plug for cross threads if all is good repalce plug fill with oil change filter and your back in buisness. its probably just cross threaded. and a "tap" will fix it.if that doesnt fix it you are only out a couple dollars and you would be cheaper to replace oil pan than to have someone remove pan, drill bigger size hole, and re-tap.

Old 01-26-2006, 07:58 PM
Senior Administrator
February 2012 ROTM
May 2012 ROTM

yea i would also suggest re-tapping it first. the tap set isnt that much really, compared to the price of a new oil pan (around 100 dollars)

Old 01-26-2006, 08:00 PM
In the Staging Lanes

A new pan is around 150.00 dollars. A helicoil kit should run about 40. The helicoil is a bit more technical, but should be cheaper on labor also.

Old 01-26-2006, 09:52 PM
July 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

you can get a used pan for next to nothing.if you use a tap to fix the threads,put some grease on the tap.this will help to bring out the shavings.

Old 01-27-2006, 02:12 AM
Tech Droid

You may be able to find an oversize plug at an auoto parts store. The plugs are slightly bigger and cut a new set of threads and give a leakproof seal.

Old 01-27-2006, 02:41 AM
2nd Gear member

Don't bother with a helicoil it won't stay in, unless you're dealing with an aluminium pan. What year is your car? Later F bodies used a 12X1.75 plug w/ a rubber oring seal. I did oil changes at Wal Mart for 10 years, don't laugh they paid me $11.50 an hour 40 hrs. per for it, I have fixed a few. These oil pans are pretty tough the plug will almost always strip before the pan gets screwed, because people overtorque the plug and stretch the threads. All you have to do is chase the pan with a 12X1.75 tap and install a new plug and oring. go to Wal Mart, they'll probably give you the plug you need. The earlier model GM's used a standard fine thread plug, I had that in my K20. When it stripped, I taped it out to the larger late model Ford/Chrysler plug, can't remember the exact size I'll have to go check and get back to you. This alows you to retain a factory size plug that is easier to comeby and any oil change facility will have onhand incase it should ever need to be replaced again. Not everyone stocks the standard oversize or double oversize "pan saver" plugs

Old 01-27-2006, 03:15 PM
Senior Administrator
February 2012 ROTM
May 2012 ROTM

Ive never used a helicoil in this situation.....honestly never thought of it. just retap or get a thread cutting plug