General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Oil leaks under load/boost 2015 silverado 5.3L procharger

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2018, 06:04 AM
Ninja Administrator
Default Oil leaks under load/boost 2015 silverado 5.3L procharger

Hey guys, been out of the game for awhile since going off to school and redirecting a lot of my spare time away from this hobby. For those that know me, I sold the trans am off awhile ago and got a 2015 silverado. Had a procharger installed on it. It has been having a few issues

Initially the issue was related to a factory defect in a rocker arm (bubble defect in the metal) causing it to flex at first impacting valve travel and eventually snap. They fixed it and I had the truck re-tuned at a pro shop.

Since the tune I have been getting occasional CELs for "lean bank 1" and "lean bank 2". Since it was pro tuned I've largely ignored these as the CEL will clear itself after a day or two and only occurs every few weeks. No biggie, I assumed.

Most recent issue is some intermittent oil leakage. It is occurring usually after a go WOT. Last night when it occurred I could actually smell a little oil after a hard run and when I got home there was a bit of oil that had leaked onto the ground.

Doing a little research, I guess LS series engines under forced induction will suffer from some excessive blow by and can shoot oil past the rear main when the crank case doesn't vent properly. I'm hoping this issue can be fixed with a change to the PCV or something else, but I wanted the input from you guys here before I go start buying some parts. Anything else I need to do to rule out a much bigger problem before I go tinkering?

Thanks,
Specter

Old 02-13-2018, 09:06 AM
March 2011 ROTM
Technical User
ROTM Winner's Club

installing an open element breather catch can is the simple solution, but removes the pcv, as well as the good effects pcv has on the engine (removing water vapor, gases, improving ring seal). it also can get messy and needs drained. installing a catch can im sure will be mentioned, but that is to simply reduce the amount of oil consumed by entering the intake. theres several ways to do it, but the crankcase needs to breath more freely, and theres several ways of doing it

Old 02-21-2018, 11:54 AM
1st Gear Member

A crankcase evacuation pump, oil separator, and catch can should work.