General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Not sure whats wrong.

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2009, 04:20 PM
Default Not sure whats wrong.

1991 camaro rs
6cyl,
I was driving about 70-75 and started to decelerate. I was hitting the gas and nothing was accelerating. I pulled off to the side and died. I replaced the battery but dont actually have the right tools to put it in.
Ive been told about 7 things that are possibly wrong with it and I just want to know from someone who actually owns a camaro to help me out.
Thank in advanced,
DeadMedic.

Old 05-17-2009, 05:47 PM
1st Gear Member

wow that could be a ton of things... run out of gas?

Old 05-17-2009, 10:04 PM
HELP ME TOM CRUISE
Yaaarrrrrr

Yes, it could be a number of things. So, if I read it correctly, you were driving and it suddenly started to slow down, even though you were still giving it gas, then it finally died. Is that correct?
You replaced the battery and dont have tools, so how do you have it placed and why replace the battery?

Old 05-17-2009, 10:39 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

first need to figure out if its a spark or a fuel problem. take a plug wire off stick a screw driver in it and hold it close to the exhaust manifold. while someone turn the motor over u should see a spark from the screwdriver to the manifold. another thing u could do is dump about a half a shot glass of gas in the tb and see if it starts. it will only start for a few seconds but if it does u will know its a fuel problem.

Old 05-18-2009, 12:23 AM

It had a full tank.
I just went out and got the tools today for it.
I went and got it tested and auto zone said get a new one.
I'll do that tomorrow when theres light.
I'll get back to you on what happens.

Old 05-18-2009, 12:28 AM
HELP ME TOM CRUISE
Yaaarrrrrr

Ok, good. You are starting out on the right track, by that I mean you arent throwing a bunch of money at it. Always get things tested before buying new stuff. Now onto the car, I really dont think a bad battery alone would cause this, you might want to get the alternator checked also. And do the things that craby suggested. Checking things is always cheaper than buying things that someone says they think is the problem.

Old 05-18-2009, 10:52 AM
1st Gear Member

if it's spark, check your plugs and wires, I know about the 3.8s having problems with burning through the #4 wire, but that's about the only camaro V6 I've ever dealt with. That could cause a misfire and when it happened to mine the car would just die for no reason from time to time. Check your alternator as cpl suggested. If it turns out to be fuel look into replacing your filter. If it's stopped up you won't get very far at all.

Old 05-18-2009, 06:32 PM

We got the car up and running today, it was the battery and spark plugs. Get this.
My car is a 1985, i bought it as a 1991 camaro rs.
I took it to a buddys house and his neighbor is a mechanic, he looked at it and said he doesn't know how the computer is reading anything. I don't know much about cars to tell you exactly what he said.
But basically the vin numbers were switched. my car is probally a hot car. I'm calling the kid i bought it off of and telling him to get my money back or I am going to get it back legally.
so much for my first car.

Old 05-18-2009, 07:23 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

vin #s are on the title and should match the #s on the car. if not u may not find the seller.

Old 05-18-2009, 08:35 PM

I know where he live. the vin on the car is the same on the registration.
but the registration on my car is saying its a 1991 but everything on my car is telling me its a 1985. It better be like that because of other parts off other cars. I can't think right now. I hate the feeling of bein ripped off.

Quick Reply: Not sure whats wrong.