General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Manufacturer Controlled Transmission?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2007 | 06:27 PM
|
Default Manufacturer Controlled Transmission?

Hello everyone..I'm a noob, just bought my 99 Camaro the other night and now my service engine light has come on. I took it to Auto Zone for them to tell me what it said, and all that came up was " Manufacturer Controlled Transmission" and they couldnt tell me any more than that. I was wonderign if someone might know what that is supposed to mean? Thanks in advance..

Old 06-23-2007 | 06:54 PM
Tech Droid
Default RE: Manufacturer Controlled Transmission?

What was the trouble code number?

Old 06-23-2007 | 11:20 PM
|

I don't know what it was. He said that was all the information he could give me. I didn't think to ask at the time.

Old 06-24-2007 | 12:06 AM
Overdrive Member

I think in the area of 40-50 bucks you can get a code reader and retrieve the codes yourself and eliminate having to go and get a stupid answer. Plus OBDII is universal and will work in other OBDII cars.

Old 06-24-2007 | 11:30 AM
4th Gear Member

mine throughs that code its like po1849. not quite sure. its a generic code telling you that you have to take it to chevy because they have a "bad ***" scaner compaired to all the small auto zone ones. my tranny starts slipping and jerking into gear sometimes and the ses light will come on. i just shut the car off for 10 mins and it wont come back for a couple months.

Old 06-24-2007 | 09:26 PM
|

I had it checked again, its P1870

Old 06-25-2007 | 12:18 AM
Overdrive Member

Thats a slipping code. You will need a shop to check the operation of the solenoids with a scanner. If one or more are bad then it needs to be changed. They are inside on the valve body. The scanner will tell wich one(s) are bad. There will be two shift solenoids and a TCC soleniod. If they are all working properly then you need a rebuild.

here is a little info

Circuit Description

The VCM monitors the difference between engine speed and transmission output speed. In D3 drive range with the TCC engaged, the engine speed should closely match the transmission output speed. In D4 drive range, with the TCC engaged, the TCC slip speed should be -20 to +20 RPM.

When the VCM detects excessive TOC slip when the TCC should be engaged, then DTC P1870 sets. DTC P1870 is a type B DTC.

Conditions for Setting the DTC

DTC P1870 sets if the following conditions are met for three TCC cycles with reported excessive TCC slip conditions, two consecutive times.

[*]No Throttle Position (TP) DTCs P0122 or P0123.[*]No VSS Assy. DTC P0502.[*]No Transmission Fluid Temperature (TFT) Sensor DTCs P0712 or P0713.[*]No TCC Sol. Valve DTC P0740.[*]No 1-2 SS Valve DTCs P0751 or P0753.[*]No 2-3 SS Valve DTCs P0756 or P0758.[*]No TFP Val. Position Sw. DTC P1810.[*]No TCC PWM So. Valve DTC P1860.[*]The engine speed is greater than 450 RPM for 8 seconds.[*]Not in fuel cutoff.[*]The engine torque is 50-450 lb. ft.[*]The gear range is D4.[*]Not in 1st gear.[*]The TP angle is 9-35%.[*]The TFT is 20-130°C (68-266°F).[*]The TCC is ON for 5 seconds.[*]The TCC is at maximum apply for 5 seconds.[*]The TCC slip speed is greater than 130 RPM.[*]All conditions met for 7 seconds[/ul]
Action Taken When the DTC Sets

[*]The VCM inhibits TCC engagement.[*]The VCM commands maximum line pressure.[*]The VCM inhibits 4th gear if the transmission is in hot mode.[*]The VCM freezes shift adapts from being updated.[*]The VCM illuminates the Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL). [/ul]
Conditions for Clearing the MIL/DTC

[*]The VCM turns OFF the MIL after three consecutive ignition cycles without a failure reported.[*]A scan tool can clear the DTC from the VCM history. The VCM clears the DTC from the VCM history if the vehicle completes 40 warm-up cycles without a failure reported.[*]The VCM cancels the DTC default actions when the fault no longer exists and the ignition is OFF long enough in order to power down the VCM.[/ul]
Diagnostic Aids

Internal transmission failures could set a DTC P1870.

Test Description

The numbers below refer to the Step numbers on the diagnostic table.

[*]This step tests the torque converter for slippage while in a commanded lock-up state.[/ol]

Old 06-25-2007 | 05:03 PM
|

Thanks for all the info. I'm going to take it to my dad. Being that I just bought the car, I was under the assumption that all the fluids would be full, but after I went down there and chewed them for selling me a broken car, I checked teh transmission fluid and it was mighty low, so I filled it back up, but could it be something as simple as the fluid being so low that would cause it to set?

Old 06-25-2007 | 06:05 PM
Overdrive Member

Maybe it was due to a low fluid level. I forget to ask that at times [&o]
Did you check the level while it was running and in park and warmed up? Drive it and see how it goes. It may take a few ignition cycles to turn the light off.

Old 06-25-2007 | 06:28 PM
|

Yes, it was after I drove about 15 minutes back to work, level, and running. It seems to drive ok, although it only acted up about twice, rough going from 1st to 2nd, but I just pushed through it, since I really don't know what's normal for this car. I hope with everything in my body that it goes off. I sure don't have money to work on it right now. Thanks again for everyone's replies. You all are much more cool than those ones on my old Saturn forum.

I also noticed in the TSB's for my car, the exact thing that is going on, ( harsh 1-2 upshifts, SES light, and P1870 ) but it doesn't say that I should ignore it, or what to do to fix it, or anything, it just states the problem. I've tried to google it, and Im not getting any information..

Quick Reply: Manufacturer Controlled Transmission?