General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

LS1 ??

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2005, 08:40 PM
Default LS1 ??

Hey guys. Im new around here i as of now got a little four banger that i have fixed for show. Its a 94 del Sol with a full molded body kit,molded,Z3 fender Carbon fiber hood and trunk. im a body man so i do my own work. I havent touch the engine so its really slow compared to my 98 GT. but even thats gettin slow so i decided to get a Camaro. So after the SS watthe better camaros to buy for performance??? wich ones have the LS1 engine and wat years came out better? all the heads up i coud get woud be helpfull. Thanks Guys.

Old 12-31-2005, 08:44 PM
Senior Administrator
February 2012 ROTM
May 2012 ROTM
Default RE: LS1 ??

i think 98-02 were LS1's, and as far as performance, the Z28 or SS would do just fine, unless you want to drop a huge buck on a ZL-1, if you can find one

Old 01-01-2006, 11:25 AM
JAK

The LS1's were put into the 98-02's as nj85z28 mentioned, but the 01-02's have LS6 intake manifold. If you are patient and willing to use the search function these forums are a great place to find information. Another good place to start is here. -JAK

Old 01-01-2006, 02:04 PM
2nd Gear member

There are slight differences in the 98 through 04 Camaro and Firebirds (essentially the same car) as to engine, etc., which are all minor - I would not worry about that. If you plan to leave the engine and drivetrain alone, then the later models have very slight advantages, but that said, I'd still recommend a '98 in great condition over an 02 in just good condition.

Given that you probably tend to modify the body, etc., I would not recommend paying for an SS over a Z28. SS'susually command a bit of extra money and what you get is mostly stuff you probably will replace anyway in doing bodywork, etc: the SS has the hood with the scoop, a different rear wing, 17" versus 16" standard tires, a steering fluid cooler, a better exhaust system (any of several types were fitted) and some minor extra trim.
SS owners may be upset with me for saying it, but I never felt the SS made appreciably more power than the Z28 with a good aftermarket catback exhaust. The SS's 15 extra Hp was supposed to come from the better exhaust and the cold air of the scoop. I think the exhaust gave it about as much as a good aftermarket system would, but the scoop is just for show. Technically it is a cold air system, but the air enters the scoop and has to curve around 180 degrees in a chamber under the hood (and a top the hot engine) before entering the engine - not efficient. So, if you really like the look of the SS hood, get it, otherwise . . . .
Note the TransAm is the equivalent of the Z28 in Firebirds and the WS6 option is the equivalent of the SS. The WS6 cold air works better, but all Firebirds are a bit heavier, and the styling is a little bit more bling-bling: you either like it or you don't (I prefer the Camaro). But its the same basic car underneath.

When buying a 98-04 Camaro or Firebird, the only real mechanic flaw to watch out for is the rear axle. Its marginal and most eventually give problems with leaking seals or worse -- if the car has been run at the drags alot or just abused the axle may be really worn (costs about $900 to rebuild). Other than that, the main thing to watch for is mods: not necessarily bad, just make sure you realize exactly what mods you are getting and how good they are and how well they were installed.

Old 01-01-2006, 02:06 PM
Senior Administrator
February 2012 ROTM
May 2012 ROTM

just for clarification, you mean 98-02 right lee?

Old 01-01-2006, 03:01 PM

thank bro. yea i want to get it up there runnin low 12 or high 11. as to wat i woud do body just a few mods here and there deffinetly custom paint. Thanks again guys. one more question how much woud be a straight deal for a Z28 i mean no point in buyin a camaro if those are the only differencese ill hook it up with the hood and maket look better anyways. And how bout Camaro verts ?? Thanks man