General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Identify This Air Leak! (image included)

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2007, 02:15 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Identify This Air Leak! (image included)

I have rebuilt this 305 tpi engine's whole top half (including fuel injectors). I just had a brand new 02 sensor installed into my headers today and now my RPMs hop around even worse, as I wasn't running an 02 sensor before today. I also cannot plug my mass airflow sensor in or the car stalls eventually. I can not put the car 100% in time because I don't have a timing tab on my aftermarket timing cover, although, we did the best we could. This image is of an open hole on the throttle body. It sucks a lot of air in, a loud whistle. I have no idea what goes here, but cannot time the car until this is plugged and it's really screwing my RPMs. When I plug this hole, the car stalls once put into gear. Please tell me where this should be plugged to! (The hole I'm speaking of is directly under the top rubber hose, in the center of the image)

Old 09-09-2007, 07:09 PM
3rd Gear Member
Default RE: Identify This Air Leak! (image included)

just by looking at the hose above it, the hose looks colasped and wrong. Try removing the top hose and pluging the hole below it with that line. Its a constantsourceof vaccume so it needs flow, the hole above it may be ported (meaning that when the rpms increase vaccume is drawn from that port). I am unsure of that engine set up, so I a taking a guess. So, follow all your vac lines and be sure that they are all hook up. It could be for your Trans, but why so far up front, it could be for vaccume advance, I am unsure. Good luck though. If you cant find the answer, your library should have Chiltons books for that year, find yours and look at the vac diagram.

Old 09-09-2007, 10:47 PM
2nd Gear member

[&:]okay sounds like you got a whole slew of problems but we gotta start somwhere... the top and bottom holes if i remember right are for coolant(may want to get a clamp on the top one) the middle or vacuum port i think goes to either an pcv valve or more likely the carbon cannister vacuum relay( this allows for the scavenging of the fuel tank vent can during part throttle operation) im not 100% on this but its my guess without taking research time or chasing down a tpi owner for a looksie. also sounds like your familiarity with computer controlled cars is lacking. you CAN NOT have some electrical connecters and vacuum ports disconnected and some of the stuff hooked up. its pretty much ALL or nothing which is what your experiencing now were more than happy to school ya but youll need to become familiar with that which your working on kurt

Old 09-10-2007, 06:09 AM
HELP ME TOM CRUISE
Yaaarrrrrr

ORIGINAL: t9ojetpilot

[&:]okay sounds like you got a whole slew of problems but we gotta start somwhere... the top and bottom holes if i remember right are for coolant(may want to get a clamp on the top one) the middle or vacuum port i think goes to either an pcv valve or more likely the carbon cannister vacuum relay( this allows for the scavenging of the fuel tank vent can during part throttle operation) im not 100% on this but its my guess without taking research time or chasing down a tpi owner for a looksie. also sounds like your familiarity with computer controlled cars is lacking. you CAN NOT have some electrical connecters and vacuum ports disconnected and some of the stuff hooked up. its pretty much ALL or nothing which is what your experiencing now were more than happy to school ya but youll need to become familiar with that which your working on kurt
X2 on the pcv. First thing I though of.