General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

i need some help with my 86 camaro

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 09:27 AM
Question i need some help with my 86 camaro

Hi my name is josh i just purchased a 1986 chevrolet camaro with a 2.8L multi-port injected engine with an automatic transmission. I've loved camaros since i was born and i kno alot about the history and little about fixing them. but the reason i need help when i purchased my camaro the guy got it to crank but said the battery was dead i have replaced the battery and it needed a new ignition switch which i also bought and installed everything is put together except for 1 red wired plug under the steering column i cant figure out where it goes if it goes anywhere and the car will turn on but will not crank or start for that matter any help is greatly appreciated....thanks

i forgot to mention that he got it to crank by doing something under the hood with a lug wrench. i believe he was manually cranking it i suppose but if im wrong please inform me and if somebody knows what im talking about can u please explain how to do it so i can get my car started thanks alot

Last edited by silamianos; 03-10-2010 at 10:40 AM. Reason: i forgot to mention details as to how the previous owner was starting the car
Old 03-16-2010, 09:50 AM
4th Gear Member

If you have a volt meter, check the starter to see if you have voltage on the solenoid when the key is turned to the start position. You could have a bad starter solenoid. Not sure about that red wire. It being red, I would think it is a "hot" wire for something. MIght go pick up a repair manual at the parts store or used book store. They have the wiring diaghrams printed in there.

Old 03-20-2010, 12:02 PM

a 86 camaro do you have a chip made into the key, i belive you should, that single wire is proably for you security , if that wire is not hooked up the car will not start, check a wiring diagram, make sure you have the correct ignitionkey\\\

Old 03-21-2010, 01:47 AM
1st Gear Member

If I remember correctly, the security chip in the keys started in 89. I don't think his car has one.