General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

How do I track a '69 camaro that I sold years ago?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 04:50 PM
Default How do I track a '69 camaro that I sold years ago?

Hi,
In 1990 I made my dream of owning a '69 camaro into reality, and at the age of 15 I couldn't wait a few more months until I got my drivers permit to drive it legally! Over the next couple years I did a lot of work to it and had the best time of my life driving it. Then I had this stupid Idea to sell it. Years later I decided I wanted another one and I bought another '69. Then, at the age of 25 I wanted to buy a new vehicle and had to sell my camaro to put money down on it. Needless to say it was probably two of the stupidest decisions I have made in my life, and I want one of them backso I waswondering if there was any way of trackingthem down. I would appreciate any help I can get.
Thanks

Old 04-03-2008, 08:27 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club
Default RE: How do I track a '69 camaro that I sold years ago?

Used to be you could track down the history of a car. When I tried back in 98 I was told that was all over with because of the new privacy laws. It may have changed or there might be a loop hole but i don't think you can do it anymore.

Old 04-03-2008, 10:17 PM
Overdrive Member

do you know the VIN#'s ?

Old 04-04-2008, 09:46 AM
2nd Gear member

[&:] i should think that if you can find an old title or registration and use the vin you can do a carfax or other title information type search and locate the current owner kurt

Old 04-04-2008, 03:45 PM
1st Gear Member

Everyone has good points and things to ponder.

Check with your DMV and see if you can track them down. In some rare cases you can, if all the other owners will give permission to allow personal info to be released. If they won't help at the DMV Knowing someone who knows someone at the DMV if you know what I mean can help this along. plenty of steak dinners later and you'll have a current owner.

Neat thing is you'll be going the other way, not back tracking. If you have the name of who bought it from you then you could track them down and then see what they did or who they sold it too. Then continue down the line. Best part is peoples memories with each newer owner will be better.

Good luck on your search.

Old 04-04-2008, 03:59 PM
HELP ME TOM CRUISE
Yaaarrrrrr

Actually I was the one who bought it from you and will sell it back for one million dollars. Just kidding, good luck on the search. The DMV is about your best bet. Do you still have the vin number?

Old 04-04-2008, 06:31 PM
February 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

I don't know what state you are in but in Minnesota any dealer can access the state DMV database and search for current owner by VIN, plate numbers or title number. Good luck.