General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

how do i know if its an LT1

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 12:01 PM
Overdrive Member

Originally Posted by sbnightwalker
i found a nice 99 for $1k (it needs a motor) but its a 6 cyl and im justlearning this stuff so not ready to do a swap from a 6 to 8 cause i would have to do tranny and rear end to right ???

This is not a swap to be taken lightly. Check out my post on the V6-V8 swap thread and it will give you a slightly humorous look at what needs to be done. The short of it all you will need a doner car and swap everything but the seats, carpet and head liner. Hell if the cars dont have the same stereo system you will need to swap the speakers and door wiring harness. The Monsoon and Boze speakers are NOT compatible. Keep with an engine of the same type and year (there are 2 different V6's used in Camaros 3.1L and 3.8L and they are not compatible either) Also there are about 6 different versions of the 3.8L and they too are not compatible with each other. So get a V-6 engine just like the one you have in your car. Also the FWD 3.1 and 3.8 are NOT the same as the RWD engines.

Massey

Old 04-30-2010, 12:08 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

yep ive noticed that too. good people here. this is the best forum on the planet.

Originally Posted by sbnightwalker
hey i really appretiate you guys taking the time to talk to me ...i was at another camaro forum and everyone just puut me down cause i dont know **** ...told me you dont even own a camaro yet you shouldnt be here >>im like what the **** yes im new but im trying to learn ....so thanks to everyone here

Old 04-30-2010, 02:02 PM
3rd Gear Member

Welcome!

It seems the guys have you covered.
Keep doing your research though.

Old 05-01-2010, 07:43 PM

ok found a nice 98 its a convertable witch i didnt want but the key thing is its an auto not a stick ...should that matter ???

Old 05-01-2010, 08:08 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

if u dont want it keep lookin. tranny is up to u and what u like. i like the auto.

Old 05-01-2010, 09:56 PM

ok i found a nice 98 it a convertablle witch i didnt want but the key question is ...does it mater if its auto or stick ...this one is auto ...i know i can get a shift kit ....just need some advice......

Old 05-01-2010, 10:00 PM

sorry to repost that ...didnt see your reply ...not to good on the comp ...but what do you think about the auto .....my buddy had an old camaro from the 70 and it had a "shift kit" in it ...again not exactly sure what that means but u could feel it ...i mean it was an auto and woyuld chirp in 3rd ....dont know if that means anything but ...it scared the **** out of me

Old 05-02-2010, 06:26 AM
Overdrive Member

for the 4l60E tranny (the one in the Camaros we are talking about) there really is not much of a "Shift Kit". This tranny's shift points are controlled by the computer and not so much by fluid pressures. To put a shift kit in this tranny means getting a programmer and making changes to the factory shift points to better optimise your car's torque and HP. This can get expensive if you dont have your own programer like a superchips programer. A Dyno shop can help you as well in most cases, or even a performance tranny shop (not a shop like AAMCO who are bound by franchise to only repair to factory specs). Just to let you know the programing in a Z28 tranny is pretty good from the factory at using the engines power, the V6 tranny does not tap the V6 as well but provides a smooth ride under normal conditions and a firm but not too aggressive shift if you get on it.

Your buddy's car must have had more than just a shift kit to chirp 3rd, that is a hard thing to do for a small block that is not built. The older non computer controlled trannys would use a "shift kit" to change the way the valve body functioned to optimise the engine's power. This involved removing the pan and valve body, adding some stronger springs her and there, removing a check ball or 2 and putting a new circuit plate on that made things happen at different times. This would not make the tranny stronger but change the shift points and also how hard the tranny would shift. Fine tuning this ment alot of trial and error and dropping the pan and VB every time you wanted to "tweak it". Today's sytem is much nicer to play with and you can change things right on a dyno or as you drive down the road (please have someone who knows about tranny programing ride with you and make the adjustments and dont do them yourself as you drive) I hope this helps you decide on what you are looking for.

Massey

Old 05-02-2010, 08:42 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

4l60e can be built much the same as a 700r4, for the most part there the same trany. u can get the vette servo and make some changes in the accumulator valve as well to firm up the shifts. have a look here to see what u can do to the auto.
http://www.transmissioncenter.net/4l60e.htm

Old 05-03-2010, 01:20 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Massey
...(there are 2 different V6's used in Camaros 3.1L and 3.8L and they are not compatible either) Also there are about 6 different versions of the 3.8L and they too are not compatible with each other. So get a V-6 engine just like the one you have in your car. Also the FWD 3.1 and 3.8 are NOT the same as the RWD engines...
Just to be **** about it, the 3rd gen V6 was a 2.8/3.1, while the 4th gen was a 3.4 to 3.8 - though all were not directly interchangeable to those found in FWD cars as you mentioned.