General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

high engine running temps

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2006, 11:31 PM
March 2011 ROTM
Technical User
ROTM Winner's Club
Default high engine running temps

well, for right now, im only running straight water (ive been working, no time yet to put in antifreeze). i drove it down an open road, steady around 45-50mph in overdrive, and the temps were around 220, but the ambient temps were about 50 and windy (i also have a 180 thermostat). however, once i got into town, the temps were staying about 245, and i was taking it easy as i had a tire nearly flat. i have a new waterpump, new hoses, new gaskets, i checked all of the areas for air to get into the rad, and everything is fine. however, what does the plastic scoop look like on these cars? its an 86 z28 tpi. mine has some peice of aluminum, really thin, but layered up 5 times so it will bend if it hits something, but goes back. the drivers side though doesnt rap around up to the front.

what else should i get? i was looking at getting an aluminum 4 core radiator as i plan on racing in the spring.

Old 10-25-2006, 02:54 PM
Default RE: high engine running temps

1986! Rad might need boiled out. Maybe coolant temp sender. Maybe guage?

Old 10-25-2006, 03:29 PM
4th Gear Member

You have what is a shoemaker fix for a air dam under the front of the car. It is a important part of the cooling system and one that is often overlooked. I would get it replaced ASAP and also replace the water with a mix of anti freeze. The Air Dam is not a very expensive part but is neccessary.

Old 10-26-2006, 12:05 AM
March 2011 ROTM
Technical User
ROTM Winner's Club

where can i get one from? ive tried ebay with no luck. all the ones at the local junkyards are either destroyed or not even there, or the car is on frame and not accessable. also, where should i put jackstands to lift it since there isnt a frame?

Old 10-26-2006, 12:18 AM
March 2011 ROTM
Technical User
ROTM Winner's Club

well, i tried ebay agin, and found one that is stainless steel. however, it stick down very low. i live in a rural area, so there is a lot of roadkill, uneven road, and i live on a driveway with a raised hump int he center and a sharp angle on a hill, and im concerned of it hitting and getting damaged. here is a picture of what i was looking at:

also, i dont have the black curved thing in front of the air dam. what is this parts name so i can get it as well? at least, i cant think of it being on mine anyway.

Old 10-27-2006, 01:11 PM
March 2011 ROTM
Technical User
ROTM Winner's Club

any answers to my question?

Old 10-27-2006, 03:45 PM

ORIGINAL: Beninarkansas

1986! Rad might need boiled out. Maybe coolant temp sender. Maybe guage?
I have a 88 rs camaro 305 and it only overheats when I am on the streets and stoping and going when I am on the freeway it runs ok what do you think

Old 10-27-2006, 03:54 PM

any body in here

Old 10-27-2006, 04:19 PM
Tech Droid

The air dam only works at highway speeds. In traffic the cooling air is provided by the fans; so, are the fans running when the car overhats?

Old 10-27-2006, 05:10 PM
March 2011 ROTM
Technical User
ROTM Winner's Club

the fan kicks in right when it gets to the red at 260*. i had made a post before about getting a fan kit that i can set the temp for it to turn on, but i was suggested not to get it.

Quick Reply: high engine running temps