General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

HELP WITH TOP END SHORTBLOCK

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2008 | 08:48 PM
|
Default HELP WITH TOP END SHORTBLOCK

hey guys,, im 18 and im a true camaro guy,,, i have a 1982camaro z28,,, it had 305 in it but i took that **** out and dropped in a new crate 350 from pep boys,,,,hooked up to a 700r4 trans,,, stock rear in ,, stock trans,, i just installed a edelbrock performer rpm intake,,, a 600 cfm edelbrock carb ,,, and a torker-plus cam #5002,,,, the motor runs strong,, but just not enough power, just the other week i got whooped by lincoln LS by 3 cars,,, i was thinking bout installing some after market heads,,, what would be the best suggestion guys,, do i need to get some race heads,, or what ?

Old 03-27-2008 | 02:52 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: HELP WITH TOP END SHORTBLOCK

check out this website, it has over 100 different part combonitions to get different power levels. im looking into doing a build like combo 71.

http://ryanscarpage.50megs.com/combos3.html

Old 03-28-2008 | 12:17 PM
2nd Gear member

[:@] mook your engine will put out however much horsepower you can afford to put into it. starting with a stock rebuilder is NOT the place to start for a street killer. these dime a dozen rebuilders who provide engines to the chain stores are not only not building engine with performance in mind they rebuild them as cheap as possible, again not a good foundation for a weekend bruiser. i personally wouldnt put any more money into your current combo, i would continue to tune it to perfection and start saving for the potent 350 your looking for. the chain rebuilders make low compression low horsepower replacement in most cases and for you to reach the 300 horse level ( to kill em cruisin round town) this is not an uncommon hp rating for lots and lots of newer cars, you need better parts than those used in most rebuilders. to list a few, heads with large valves, moderate cam profiles and associated parts to make you engine/ air pump move some air and make some horsepower. also keep in mind that your rearend gears have a lot to do with how fast you accellerate, the 700r4 helps a lot in the department but you may want to check them if you want to play drag racer. the parts you have so far are a good start, the intake and cam may be a slight mismatch which doesnt help with your search for power but the carb is perfect. if you want help with tuning and or more advice come see us kurt

Old 03-28-2008 | 09:55 PM
Overdrive Member

That site looks pretty good. Mookdawg can look for a 350 with comparable intake and cam and see what heads were dynoed with that.
Also Mookdawg did not mention what he used for a distributer. Did you use a stock computer controled one? If so you need to change that. Check out an MSD at summitracing.com