General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Hello from B'ham and 1st question

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2007, 04:01 PM
Default Hello from B'ham and 1st question

I have a 95 Camaro v6 that the mechanic at a local shop told me that it droped a lifter.
1st What does that mean. Is it the rocker arm lifters?
2nd Is it something that would require me to purchase a new engine?

The whole problem started when my car started this god allful knocking and loses power it seems like somthing is going to come thru the hood.

Old 10-31-2007, 05:11 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Hello from B'ham and 1st question

Dropped a lifter.

What happened, from your description, is one of the lifters atop the camshaft "collapsed" or basically broke in easy terms allowing no oil to enter and pump it up to take up the slack in the distance between the pushrod and rocker arm.

No, you may not need a new motor if it's just a lifter collapsed. You may need a new camshaft if the cam lobe was what wore off and the lifter is fine. One question, are you getting a "popping" noise threw the carb/throttle body on accelleration? this is a good indicator of drivetrain problems. They would know that on the tear down. Once they tried to put a new lifter in, and couldn't get any adjustment because the lobe on the cam was wore off.

You could still need a motor if you sent metal threw the engine oil, killed some bearings and other items.

You've got semi-major engine surgery ahead of you. The valve covers and intake need to come off for further diagnoses of the problem. If the mechanice knows what cylinder is bad (he should) then he could pull the one valve cover and then show you what's going on. The loose pushrod on the offending cylinder should be enough proof to then pop the intake off and take the lifter out and with a light, look at the cam lobe and see if it's also fubar.

It may be in your best interest to have him drop the oil before he starts and see what kind of metal may show up. If you have time, and extra money get a oil analysis and know if you've got some bearing material floating in there.

Be ready for the unexpected. Ask him for a "best case" "worse case" scenario so you can prepare finacially.