General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Getting a camaro painted???

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2007, 12:07 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Getting a camaro painted???

Ok i have some questions...i have a 1991 RS v6automatic camaro covertable.
I want to sell it to get a hard top, Z28 or iroc z, manual 5.7.
First should i paint it and then sell it bc the paint on it has some NOTICABLE scratches on it or should i just sell it
Second if i painted it how much would it cost and should i just get it maco painted and do the work.
And how much should i sell it for. i know u cant see it and i dont have a dig. cam. to put picks up. but it has tons of new things like an alternator and knew top on the covertable part. and a 1000$ sound system. And last when is the last year camaro they used aspestos in the hood of the car??? Thanks for ur help or comments

Old 06-15-2007, 05:25 PM
2nd Gear member
Default RE: Getting a camaro painted???

[X(] as for establishing a price to sell it for id check automotive .com, ebay, autotrader etc to see what others are asking for similar vehicles. a quick check on ebay shows a variety of prices between $500 and $3000 so i guess start somewhere in there. as for paint well its usually NOT money well spent for vehicles in this price range. the stereo you may want to keep as once again you are unlikely to recoup the cost of the stereo in the sale of the car. as for a scenario that may help explain all this, lets say joe has the same car for sale that he kept in the garage with a stock stereo. so the paint is good and it has tunes. now you just painted yours and installed the high dollar stereo. now you just dumped alot of dollars into yours and joe didnt have to. guess what, when it comes time to sell it (and this can vary with buyers) but as a general rule your car will not be able to command a much higher price than joe's. now as i said you may find a buyer who is impressed with the stereo or the new top and maybe even the fresh paint but will a car that is basicly the same be worth double what joe's car is worth (and find a buyer who's willing to pay double). no, probably not at least in this price range. if this was a car with a value in the 10's or 100 grand range then these buyers tend to spend a little more for vehicles with new stuff and cars in better shape. so to sum it up very very rarely does dumping money into a already decent car garner more dollars(AT LEAST ENOUGH TO PAY FOR THE UPGRADES) at sale time, its generally money not well spent. THIS IS ONE OF THE REASONS PEOPLE OFTEN PULL CUSTOM WHEELS OFF CARS PRIOR TO SALE AS THEY CANT RECOVER THE WHEEL COSTS IN AN INFLATED VEHICLE PRICE. not a comment on your car but the saying goes you can polish a turd, and this will make it nice and shiny, but its still a turd. in other words the car is worth what its worth and dont expect the buyer to pay for upgrades

as for asbestos on the hood im not aware of any that ever used the mineral asbestos. however i dont think too many, if any at all, GM cars didnt come with some type of hood insulation and yours should be no exception kurt