General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Engineering Jobs in MI

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2006, 08:14 PM
3rd Gear Member
Default Engineering Jobs in MI

My dad just got the buy out from ford. so we're looking for ideas for where he can work.

Old 12-20-2006, 05:45 PM
Tech Droid
Default RE: Engineering Jobs in MI

That is tough field to get in with all the layoffs & downsizing in the auto industry. An engineer isa necessary commodity,and may be worthwhile to look at some of the growing auto companies such as Toyota and Honda. In these times there is really no allegiance between employer and employee, so everyone is looking after its best interest. The other thing to look at is, thatwith so many people leaving Ford at one time, the company is going to loose a lot of essential talents, and will soon be looking to replace them, not as regular employees but as consultants / private contractors. Consultants get no benefits, which your dad probably already has anyway,but get a good salary, and do not have a boss loking over their shoulder.

Another thing to look at is setting up a repair shop. There is serios lack of people that can properly maintain & repair newer cars, and you dad, with his training,should be able to make a killing.

I was a software engineerfor Verizon, and took a buyout several years ago. I was asked to come back as a consultant, and love the deal.

Old 12-20-2006, 10:27 PM
3rd Gear Member

That's a good idea, becoming a consultant. Unfortunately, my dad is very mechanically declinded. He has more of a knack for technical stuff. His whole career there, he was pretty much designing seats and testing them for safety standards.

I am currently working out a deal with a local mechanic to lease his storage bay to me so I can start my own customizing shop. I think it would be benifical for his business to get some advertising with me and vise a versa. He is more into the repair aspects and I can customize. So i'll be buying into his insurance policy so it's a little cheaper for me.

Old 12-21-2006, 12:29 AM
Tech Droid

Sounds like a good idea, good luck in your enterprise. You may consider bringing your dad in, even as just figurehead, and advertise that you have a retired Ford engineer on the staff.